This Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan is a lighter twist on an Italian Classic! Flavorful crispy breaded chicken breasts are baked then topped with a light tomato sauce and cheese and served over spaghetti squash!!! If you love lightened up chicken dishes like this, check out these recipes for Chicken Francese, Light Chicken Marsala, Rosemary Chicken, Lemon Roast Chicken and Oven Fried Chicken Tenders!
The BEST Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan! Light but Delicious!
I’ve lightened up chicken parmesan today by baking it, and it’s so good y’all! I have always had a love for carb loaded, fattening Italian foods that instantly add five pounds and bloat me for weeks to come. Y’all know I make things like this Baked Spaghetti, Cheese Garlic Breadsticks and Italian Pot Roast on the regular!
I can’t help it! Who doesn’t love comforting food like that?
The delicious breading gets upgraded with a bit of panko for a lovely crunchy texture. The sauce is made with diced tomatoes, and everything is served right over spaghetti squash. The spaghetti squash makes this dish lighter than its ever been before! I will definitely be making this baked chicken parmesan again and serving it with my homemade garlic bread recipe.
How to Make Baked Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan begins with very thin chicken. You will want to pound your chicken breast halves to 1/4 inch thickness with a mallet.
Tip 1: Don’t have a mallet? Use a rolling pin or bottle of wine to pound them!
To create the amazing crunchy coating without frying, we will use a mix of bread crumbs, parmesan and herbs. Bread crumbs give such a wonderful crisp breading. Tip 2: Here I use a mix of regular bread crumbs and panko however if you want even more crunch, you can use all panko! Just make sure you add more Italian seasoning or selected a seasoned panko blend.
To create a wonderful dredge, dip your chicken breasts in the egg mixture and then top with the bread crumb mixture.
For this baked chicken parmesan recipe, you should bake the chicken at 425 degrees for 15-25 minutes. If the chicken breasts are thicker than 1/4-inch thick, then you might have to bake a little longer. Bake until the chicken is cooked through.
How to Lighten Tomato Sauce for Healthy Chicken Parmesan
For a heartier Chicken Parmesan like the original Italian classic, I would more than likely use this Spaghetti sauce which is rich and filled with amazing flavor!
Here I have selected to lighten it up and make it more of a garnish. It still gives ample flavor but isn’t as hearty. To do this, I use diced tomatoes along with a few ingredients like butter, garlic and onion. Served over the chicken, it is seriously so so good!!
If you like this baked chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash, you may love some of my other
healthier savory dishes.
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!*
Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash
This Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan is a lighter twist on an Italian Classic! Flavorful crispy breaded chicken breasts are baked then topped with a light tomato sauce and cheese and served over spaghetti squash!Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Non-stick olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1 ounce
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Baked spaghetti squash
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter until onion is tender. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, with a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In a shallow dish stir together bread crumbs, the 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and oregano. In another bowl stir together the egg and milk. Dip chicken breast halves in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat. Spray both sides of each chicken half with olive oil spray and bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 25 minutes (adjust according to the thickness of the chicken) until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a serving platter.
- Spray both sides of each chicken half with olive oil spray and bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 25 minutes (adjust according to the thickness of the chicken) until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a serving platter.
- To bake the spaghetti squash, cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Place in a baking dish with the cut sides down. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Place chicken on bed of spaghetti squash. Spoon sauce over chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
If the chicken breasts are thicker than 1/4-inch thick, then you might have to bake a little longer. Bake until the chicken is cooked through. Don’t have a mallet? Use a rolling pin or bottle of wine to pound the chicken! Here I use a mix of regular bread crumbs and panko however if you want even more crunch, you can use all panko! Just make sure you add more Italian seasoning or selected a seasoned panko blend.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 540mg | Potassium: 678mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 480IU | Vitamin C: 12.7mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 2.4mg