This cheesy caramelized onion and pear flatbread with hints of blue cheese and a homemade crust is the perfect appetizer to serve this fall.
There are few recipes that make me want to make them again and again. This is one of those recipes. A couple of months ago I had the pleasure of attending the White Lily Baking Retreat in Nashville. It was such an incredible time filled with Southern baking and fabulous bloggers.
One of the serious highlights of the trip was baking with some of White Lily’s new products which include their new Premium Flour Blends which are fantastic. When people think of White Lily, they usually think of biscuits right away but this recipe will totally update their thinking.
I tasted several breads made with their new wheat blends, some with white and red grape flavor, in breads and in this caramelized onion and pear flatbread that I made with their test kitchen expert at the event.
We used the flours to make the flatbread dough which came together so easily. It was so good y’all. The flavors from the grapes really gave this extra hint of flavor that complimented this recipe so well. It isn’t overwhelming; just perfect. The topping of tender yet sweet caramelized onions is perfectly paired with the slices of pear. When it bakes together with the cheeses, it is so memorable and the final sprinkle of bleu cheese adds the right amount of tartness to the sweetness of the flavor combinations.
I can’t think of a better appetizer for fall. I would serve this for a game party or just a sophisticated gathering of wine with friends. It is that good and can serve its purpose in many ways.
Caramelized Pear Flatbread
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
- 2 medium Vidalia or other sweet yellow onion thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup warm water 110 to 120°F
- 1/4 oz active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour & White Grape Seed Flour Blend
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ripe pears peeled, cored and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese optional
- HEAT 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- STIR in vinegar, garlic, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- COAT 2 baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray. Stir warm water, yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in flour, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 teaspoon salt until dough forms. Knead on floured surface 1 minute. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half on a prepared baking sheet to a 14 x 8-inch rectangle. Bake 8 minutes.
- SPOON onion mixture evenly over crusts. Top with pear, if desired. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Sprinkle with blue cheese before serving.