This citrus meringue pie is the last recipe I have been longing to share from the photo shoot I did with CRE810 and my friend and stylist Leslie. It is perfect for this time of year. And it is now officially Spring! Seriously, who doesn’t love a lemon meringue pie or a key lime pie or any citrus flavored dessert period?
|All photos courtesy of CRE810 Photography|
This citrus meringue pie is perfect for this time of year. And it is now officially Spring! Seriously, who doesn’t love a lemon meringue pie or a key lime pie or any citrus flavored dessert period?
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 3 large egg yolks save the egg whites for the meringue
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 large egg whites
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the graham cracker crust, mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate and press down into the plate and around the sides. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes to set.
- To prepare the filling, whisk together the condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice and citrus zests.
- Add the filling to the pre-baked pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the meringue topping, add egg whites to a mixer or to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer on medium high speed.
- Add in the sugar, vanilla extract and cornstarch and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top the still warm pie with the meringue topping and make sure to cover the entire pie filling with the meringue leaving no spaces uncovered.
- Place in the oven until the top has browned. Remove the pie and allow to cool completely before refrigerating.