Shrimp Scampi is a favorite of mine. In fact, my cousin Roslynn (she was named after me but took the R for Ros because my aunt’s name is Rose) always asks me to make it, and has been asking me to make it for her since I was a teenager. She happens to be a bit addicted to it if you ask me. Can you imagine a 7 year old always asking her older cousin (17 at the time) to constantly make shrimp scampi? Well I couldn’t turn her down because I would do anything for her, and it was pretty tasty so I loved making it too.
For years, I always served shrimp scampi over pasta or brown rice but today I am going even lighter than brown rice and serving it over spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is such a satisfying replacement for pasta. It is quite delicious and filling.
When I had it in this dish, I only felt proud of myself for eating a whole bowl of pasta (2 cups even!) only worth about 100 calories roasted.
To get cooking, head over to Delish Dish and get your scampi on with my new recipe!
Light Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti Squash
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen large shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Lemon pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 medium spaghetti squashes baked
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle with lemon juice; sprinkle evenly with garlic, salt, and pepper, red pepper flakes and lemon pepper.
- Add to pan over medium heat with olive oil. When shrimp have cooked for just a few minutes, add white wine and allow it to reduce by 1/2.
- Serve shrimp over spaghetti squash and garnish with parsley and lemons and serve.
This meal is absolutely delicious, and one I will make again and again. The bonus is that it’s light and healthy so I can enjoy this for dinner and not feel a shred of guilt. Sounds good to me.