This Peppermint Brownies Recipe couldn’t be easier! A delicious and easy holiday spin on classic and decadent one-bowl brownies filled with indulgent chocolate flavor and topped with delicious peppermint frosting. If you love chocolate and peppermint pairs, definitely check out this Peppermint Bark, Chocolate Pound Cake with Peppermint Ganache, Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream, Peppermint Chocolate Pie, and Peppermint French Silk Pie!
Nothing is easier than relying on the oldies but oh-so goodies for holiday treats! A couple of little tweaks make brownies turn up a notch for the holidays. No need for me to go back to the drawing board when treats like one bowl brownies are always delicious no matter when you serve them.
You can literally leave the brownies as is or have fun by adding some additional peppermint extract to the batter as well! You can leave them plain and even ditch the peppermint in the frosting for a plain fudgy, one-bowl brownie.
Why You Will Love One Bowl Brownies
- Fewer dishes! Everything mixes up in one bowl making cleanup a breeze!
- Great flavor that’s perfect for the holidays but also perfect any time of year you crave chocolate mint brownies!
- An easy recipe that comes together fast and is one even beginner bakers can make without any issues!
- Simple instructions that require dumping everything in one bowl make this recipe perfect for the holiday season!
- These peppermint brownies literally melt in your mouth and the texture is perfection.
- A very adaptable recipe perfect all year round! Simply swap the flavorings as you prefer!
This recipe for one bowl brownies is a super simple one. Here are the ingredients that make these brownies super fudgy and indulgent with minimal hard work:
- Melted Butter: Using melted butter instead of room temperature butter typical in most baking, removes the need for a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Sugar: We’re using brown sugar and granulated sugar. The brown sugar makes these brownies even chewier.
- Eggs: Moistens the brownie batter and gives this bar dessert its structure.
- Oil: Keeps your mint chocolate brownies super moist and delicious.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works perfectly for making brownies.
- Cocoa Powder: Blends easily with the flour so you don’t need to take the extra step to melt chocolate.
- Leavening: This recipe uses baking soda to promote the ingredients rising while they bake.
- Flavor: A bit of salt enhances the chocolate flavor while vanilla extract provides a naturally warming flavor. Make sure to use real vanilla extract not imitation.
How To Make Peppermint Brownies
The peppermint brownies themselves are chewy, chocolatey, and just plain decadent. Let’s mix up a batch! Here’s an overview of the steps but the full instructions are in the recipe card.
- Combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each one to fully incorporate them into the mixture.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract to the sugar and egg mixture.
- Slowly add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in intervals until the batter is well mixed and smooth.
- Pour the brownie batter into a prepared 8×8-sized baking pan. Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out just barely clean. Don’t overbake.
- When done cooking, remove the brownies and cool them on a cooling rack while you make the frosting.
How to Make Peppermint Frosting for Brownies
Mix up the frosting while your brownies are cooling. The frosting which is seriously just as easy to make and so creamy and full of peppermint flavor. Let’s look at how to make it.
- Add the butter to your stand mixer and mix on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the cocoa powder and powdered sugar to the butter and start mixing on low speed. Speed up the mixer to medium speed as it begins to mix in and continue mixing until everything is incorporated and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and milk to the bowl. Mix until everything is mixed in. completely fluffy and well incorporated
- Spread the frosting over the brownies then sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Cut the brownies into squares and serve.
How to Store
The best way to store peppermint frosted brownies is at room temperature. Wrap them up in plastic wrap or foil or place them in an airtight container. They will last up to three days stored at room temperature.
They can also be stored in the fridge if you want to extend their shelf-life. Alternatively, you can freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- You can easily change the flavor of these brownies by switching out the vanilla flavor for another flavor of your choice. Same with the frosting. This is a very adaptable recipe perfect all year round.
- Don’t overbake your brownies! Cook them just until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean!
- Allow the brownies to fully cool before adding the frosting to prevent it from melting.
- For a truly decadent treat, pair your peppermint brownies with a peppermint eggnog hot chocolate!
Just a hint of peppermint extract is all you need to get in the holiday mood. The flavor is so pure that a little goes a long way. That’s because there are two pounds of 100% peppermint leaves (grown in the Pacific Northwest) in each bottle, which means you are getting 100% pure flavor every single time you use it! It is so refreshing and yummy, and it is a wonderful way to add some holiday flair to a classic everyday dessert made all year round. Start with about 1/4 teaspoon and then add more if you feel like you want it to have a more intense flavor!
More Brownie Recipes
If you like this Peppermint One Bowl Brownies recipe, then you’ll love some of my other great brownie recipes.
- Cookies and Cream Brownies
- Caramel Pretzel Brownies
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chewy Brownies
- Salted Caramel Popcorn Brownies
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Peppermint Brownies Recipe (Only One Bowl!)
For the Brownies:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted then cooled 1 stick
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Peppermint Frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Crushed peppermint for garnish
For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 8×8 sized baking pan with parchment paper and non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, add melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar and whisk together.
- Next add in eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition to incorporate.
- Mix in oil and vanilla extract.
- In intervals, slowly add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until batter is well mixed, smooth and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add brownie batter to 8×8 sized baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out just barely clean. Don’t overbake.
- Remove brownies and cool on cooling rack while you make the frosting.
For the Peppermint Frosting:
- Add butter to stand mixer and mix on medium speed until fluffy.
- Next slow down mixer to slowest speed and carefully add cocoa powder and powdered sugar to butter. Once it begins to mix in, speed the mixer up to medium speed and allow until everything is incorporated and fluffy.
- Then add in vanilla extract, peppermint extract and milk and mix until completely fluffy and well incorporated.
- Spread frosting over brownies then sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Cut into squares and serve.
This post was originally published December 2016. It has been updated with new images and content.