Who doesn’t adore hot chocolate in the winter? Well, I am sure there is one person out there that might but this recipe is definitely for the majority and not the minority. After recently seeing some really lovely holiday recipes for affogato, I wanted to make it. From peppermint to salted caramel and even raspberry, my recipe would be something I hadn’t quite discovered yet which was red velvet. That’s right: Red Velvet Hot Chocolate Affogato Floats.
Red velvet hot chocolate affogato floats are my new favorite thing. Just like traditional red velvet recipes, it has more of a hint of chocolate than a large amount. When you slowly pour it over vanilla ice cream, it becomes the best thing in the world. So simple yet so perfect in every possible way.
This is the recipe you can share after Christmas dinner. This is also the recipe to have on hand after a cold wintry night. You can sip this around the fireplace and just drift away.
This sorbet mixture took me less than five minutes to throw together, and it was in my ice cream maker before I knew it. Once it was frozen, I simply added scoops to my glasses and poured a sparkling wine over it and voila, I was ready to get the party started
- 3 1/2 cups milk I use coconut milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 4-8 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Add milk, granulated sugar and chocolate chips to a pot over medium heat and whisk until chocolate has completely melted through and blended into mix.
- Next add in the red food coloring and whisk together.
- Add one or two scoops of vanilla ice cream to 4 mugs.
- Next pour hot chocolate over ice cream two thirds of the way full and enjoy.