Spaghetti and Lentil Meatballs – A delicious and vegetarian spin on a comforting Italian classic. Find out why I started using healthy lentils in weeknight meals!
Disclosure: I partnered with Lentils.org for this Spaghetti and Lentil Meatballs recipe post, but all opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for the partnership.
LENTIL HEALTH BENEFITS
HOW TO COOK LENTILS
This recipe makes a ton of lentil meatballs so if you have a bunch left over, freeze them and unthaw for another dinner later in the week. Toss these on top of your favorite marinara sauce and pasta, and you are in for the most comforting spaghetti dish you have ever had. Trust me when I say you won’t miss the meat. I’m a true blue carnivore, and I can totally vouch for that.
- If you adore stuffed shells, check out my Chicken Stuffed Shells. Next level!
- If you really love stuffed shells and want even more, you will adore this Italian Sausage Stuffed Shells version.
- There is nothing more satisfying than this comforting Italian Pot Roast recipe.
- If you love a classic, try my amazing Spaghetti and Meatballs.
- Don’t forget the most perfect Garlic bread recipe to serve with your Italian dish!
Spaghetti and Lentil Meatballs
- 2 cups green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup olive oil divided
- ¾ cup white mushrooms chopped
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 large eggs
- Marinara sauce, spaghetti pasta, and parsley for serving
- Add lentils and vegetable stock to medium sized pot over medium high heat. Bring to boil then reduce to low and cook for 15 more minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to large pan over medium heat. Next add mushrooms and onions and saute until tender then add garlic for 45 seconds to cook then remove from heat.
- Add lentils, mushrooms, onions, and garlic to food processor and pulse on high until well blended and lentils have broken down somewhat (be careful not to over pulse until it turns to mush).
- Pour lentil mixture into large bowl then stir in breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce and red flakes until well mixed. Next add eggs one at a time to moisten mixture then form meatballs with your hands.
- Add remaining olive oil into pan over medium heat and cook meatballs browning on each side. Remove from oil to drain on paper towels then serve over marinara sauce and pasta and garnish with parsley.