Strawberry Shortcake Tea Cake Stacks – Succulent strawberry slices sandwiched between fresh whipped cream and moist, chewy tea cakes. An awesome new take on a classic strawberry shortcake recipe!
Strawberries are in season from April through August. That means we are right in the middle of strawberry season. This time of year I make up different ways to put one of my favorite fruits to good use, including using throwing them into every single dessert I can think of. This Strawberry Shortcake Tea Cake Stacks recipe is my latest invention.
MY STRAWBERRY OBSESSION
My strawberry obsession all started with my mom who was the queen of strawberries. Every birthday in our home was celebrated with strawberry shortcake. Sometimes my mom would even make strawberry cake where the entire cake was this enticing pink color, and bits of berry would entice you by peeking out in the buttercream and cake layers. Gosh was that cake fabulous.
Then there was the beautiful cream cheese strawberry pie my mother made almost every week of every summer! That pie was incredible! As you can see, my problems of strawberry addiction are really not my fault. This is a hereditary thing for sure.
Because strawberries are sometimes the center of my being each and every spring and summer, I struggle with new and exciting ways to use them. My favorite way is to use them in strawberry shortcake but how many ways can you make strawberry shortcake? Well I think I discovered a new way that may be in the running for my favorite strawberry shortcake ever. While brainstorming new recipe ideas, I thought of replacing the cake in strawberry shortcake with tea cakes!
TEA CAKES (WHAT ARE TEA CAKES?)
I grew up eating tea cakes on a regular basis because both of my parents are from the South. If you’ve never had tea cakes before or if you don’t know what they are I’m here to inform and console you. Tea cakes are basically cookies that originate from the rural American South composed of simple ingredients (butter, sugar, egg, flour, vanilla extract and a few others) and packs a simple flavorful punch! I have a wonderful tea cake recipe on this site you should check out. It will help you make this amazing strawberry shortcake recipe.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE TEA CAKE STACKS
I sandwiched the tea cakes together with fresh whipped cream and strawberry slices. Baby, these were so delicious that I can’t even stand it! I will make these treats again and again. Tea cakes are a cross between a cookie and a biscuit and are so perfect, chewy, soft and delicious. They really were the perfect compliment to the cream and berries.[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:123]
Strawberry Shortcake Teacake Stacks
- 1 recipe Southern Tea Cakes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Make Southern Tea Cakes according to the recipe. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the Whipped Cream, add heavy whipping cream to your mixer bowl and mix on high speed.
- When peaks begin to appear, slowly add in cornstarch, confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks are formed.
- To assemble stacks, pipe whipped cream on one cookie then add two strawberry slices. Top strawberries with another tea cake then repeat process two more times ending with whipped cream and berries on top layer. There should be three cookies and two whipped cream/berry layers per stack. Enjoy!