Deliciously simple strawberry shortcakes are jazzed up with drop strawberry biscuits, fresh whipped cream and strawberry slices. Perfect for Spring!
Today I’m sharing a brand new Strawberry Shortcakes! But these aren’t any ordinary shortcakes. They are made with strawberry biscuits. Have you ever had a strawberry biscuit in your strawberry shortcake? I certainly hadn’t.
On a whim (isn’t that the best way to develop recipes?), I decided to add strawberries to my biscuit batter resulting in these sensational strawberry biscuits. I thought it would be nice if I was ensured a juicy bit of strawberry in every single bite of my shortcake. I am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone of big mama’s biscuit regime (though quite perfect) and tried a little something new. It was certainly fun to experiment.
I started with BHG’s Strawberry Shortcakes biscuit recipe and added the fun twist, and it paid off and made my shortcakes even more special. I savored every bite while dreaming of warmer weather, beautiful strawberries at the farmer’s market and relaxing walks along the lakefront here in Chicago.
And if you want more Spring shortcake love, check out one of my fave recipes last year: Strawberry tiramisu!
Strawberry Shortcakes made with Strawberry Biscuits
For the Strawberry Biscuits:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries tossed with 1/2 teaspoon flour
For the Shortcakes:
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl combine egg, sour cream, milk and berries. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened
- Drop dough into 8 mounds onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 cups of the strawberries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. Using a potato masher, mash berries slightly; set aside. To serve, split shortcakes in half; fill with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Top with remaining sliced strawberries. Makes 8 shortcakes.