I love taking hot trends and putting my fun twist on them like with these watermelon sweet tea popsicles. As many of you know, this blog is dedicated to my grandmother so she drives a lot of inspiration for the majority of my recipes. The food I grew up on was soul food or “southern cuisine”, which is the more widely used term.
To me and to most, no soul food meal is ever complete without a glass of sweet tea. But as it gets hotter and hotter this summer, I find myself gravitating towards frozen desserts. They leave me refreshed and cooled off. That feeling led me to combine sweet tea and popsicles into this amazing popsicle recipe, which everyone loves during the summer.
I added a bit of seasonal watermelon and created the perfect summer treat. I think my grandmother and the South would be proud.
Watermelon Sweet Tea Popsicles
- 2 tea bags
- 2 cups water
- 1/4- 1/2 cup granulated sugar depending on sweetness of watermelon- also feel free to sub in honey or another sub sweetener of your choice!
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add tea bags, cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and add in sugar and stir until dissolved. Add in lemon juice and place to the side.
- Next add diced watermelon to a food processor (or blender) and grind until a smooth puree has formed.
- Pour watermelon through a sieve to remove pulp and seeds then add remaining juice to tea and mix together.
- Pour sweet tea into popsicle molds and freeze (overnight if possible) before enjoying.