This is the PERFECT Southern Succotash Recipe! Fresh okra, diced tomatoes, corn, flavorful bacon and so much deliciousness.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 strips bacon chopped
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 green pepper cored, seeded and minced
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn nibblets thawed and drained if frozen
- 1 small tomato cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 young okra stem ends trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick to equal 1 cup
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the bacon pieces, and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes, then remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon to a plate.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the fat in the pan and cook until vegetables begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium low and stir in the lima beans, corn, tomato, sugar, salt and pepper.
Add the tomato sauce and water, bring to the simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the okra and simmer for 10 minutes more or until the okra is fork tender but not mushy. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Let it cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge, consuming within 3-4 days.
Remember: Only reheat what you need to maintain the best texture and flavor. Enjoy!
- For best results, reheat on the stovetop with a splash of water, stirring until warm.
- Alternatively, use the microwave, covering the dish and heating in short bursts, stirring in between.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 878mg | Potassium: 652mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 780IU | Vitamin C: 39.9mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.9mg