The BEST Red Beans and Rice Recipe (with Kidney Beans Recipe)
This BEST Red Beans and Rice Recipe is the Ultimate Cajun Favorite done right! Insanely flavorful kidney beans with a hint of spice and meaty essence are served over white rice for the perfect Southern creole recipe. Much better than Popeye's!
Prep Time20 minutes mins
Cook Time2 hours hrs
Total Time2 hours hrs 20 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped bell peppers
- 3 85g andouille sausage links, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper up to 1/4 tsp but taste later
- 1 pound dried red beans already soaked overnight and drained
- Cooked rice to serve with beans
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, celery and bell peppers and cook about 10-12 minutes or until they begin to caramelize and tenderize. Next add in sausage and brown for about 4-5 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute making sure not to burn.
Turn heat up to medium high and add chicken stock, water, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, creole seasoning, salt and pepper then stir in red beans.
Bring liquid to a boil then turn heat down to low, cover with lid and cook for 2 - 2½ hours until beans are tender and liquid as thickened. Check flavor of beans and season with salt and pepper to taste, stir and turn off heat.
Let cool for 15 minutes and allow beans to continue thickening. Serve with rice.
- Really let the flavors of the trinity develop. This is crucial for adding more flavor to the base of the dish.
- Check on the beans as they cook. They will take a while to cook but it's a good idea to give them a stir every now and then.
- Use broth or stock over water! This makes them taste better.
- Let the dish sit after cooking. They will cool down slightly during this time and the liquid with thicken up slightly making them even better.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 996mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 485IU | Vitamin C: 18.5mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 4.5mg