Brown Sugar Peach Shortcake Recipe- Buttery flaky shortcake biscuits get topped with brown sugar soaked ripe peaches and fluffy whipped cream for the ultimate summer delight.
Tender sour cream biscuits, brown sugar peaches swimming in a natural juice, and soft whipped cream spell summer on a plate. A couple of weeks ago, I made this incredible brown sugar peach shortcake recipe on the Today Show, and everyone raved about these biscuits. They could not get enough seriously.
How to Make Shortcakes
I have seen quite a few versions of shortcakes ranging from sponge cakes to biscuits. Biscuits are the traditional foundation, and they are perfect for a few reasons:
- First, they are sturdy enough to hold up to whatever you fill them with.
- Secondly, they add a savory yet sweet touch to a dessert classic.
- Lastly, they are absolutely wonderful for soaking up the juices and flavors of the fruit stacked inside. Incredible!
The thing about this brown sugar peach shortcake recipe is it provides the perfect shortcake base. They are tender and flaky due to the super cold butter and sour cream. Remember, the cold butter is absolutely key for perfect biscuits. If your butter is even somewhat warm, pop it back in the refrigerator to get the flakiness your biscuits deserve. Now most would not use sour cream in a biscuit but you should try it because the results are so impressive.
I also love the additional sugar I have added to this biscuit so it is a bit sweeter than a savory biscuit but it is also pretty wonderful on its own slathered with butter or some jam.
Brown Sugar Peach Shortcake Recipe Deliciousness
With peaches in season during the later summer months, this is the perfect recipe to showcase its ripe sweet and juicy texture. For these shortcakes, it really helps if you can find wonderfully ripe peaches because it makes such a difference in each and every bite.
I love to let pure nature shine with this recipe. Just two ingredients in addition to the peaches allow the natural flavors to really amplify. A bit of brown sugar and orange juice tossed makes the recipe even better. Let those juices develop and turn into something really special.
A dollop of whipped cream with each and every bite makes it even more fantastic. Soak up every last bit of summer with these.
Peach Shortcake Recipe- Buttery flaky shortcake biscuits get topped with brown sugar soaked ripe peaches and fluffy whipped cream for the ultimate summer delight.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter very cold cut into cubes
- 1 1/3 cup sour cream cold
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 tsp water whisked together
- Turbinado Sugar for garnish
- Whipped Cream for serving
- 4 cups ripe peach slices 8-9 medium peaches
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Add flour, sugar, baking soda and salt to bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Add butter cubes to flour mixture and pulse until small and medium sized crumbs form.
- Lastly add sour cream and vanilla and pulse until it is just combined.
- Turn biscuit dough out onto floured board and knead just to combine everything but do not overmix.
- Press the dough out with your hands to about 1 inch thickness and cut using a round biscuit cutter. Next place the biscuits on the parchment paper lined baking pan and refrigerate for 20-25 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush the tops of the biscuits with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake shortcake biscuits for 16-19 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Add peaches to a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle sugar and pour orange juice over peaches and toss together.
- Allow peaches to sit for 15-20 minutes or until juices develop.
- Cut completely cooled biscuits in half horizontally. Add peaches to bottoms of each biscuit and top with whipped cream. Add biscuit tops then add a few berries and whipped cream to top of biscuit and serve.