Simple, classic and absolutely delicious. The crunchy golden batter of this fried green tomatoes recipe is the epitome of Southern charm and cuisine.
When I saw these green tomatoes at the grocery store…
There was only one thing I could make to do them justice: Fried Green Tomatoes.
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES RECIPE
This Southern recipe is simple and so delicious. This Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe really allows the green tomato flavor to shine through but marries the tomatoes with a fantastic golden breading that crunches every single time you take a bite.
It all starts with perfect and juicy green tomatoes. I easily found these at my specialty grocery store but there are also some amazing ones at farmers markets, as well. If you see them, don’t resist! Pick up a few and load them into the cart.
HOW TO MAKE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
The breading is just the compliment. With a little egg wash and a mixture of yellow cornmeal and panko crumbs, these fried green tomatoes are magical. I add a tiny bit of paprika to my breading just to spice it up a bit but that is completely optional.
So what are you waiting for, hurry out and get some green tomatoes! No procrastination necessary when this Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe is waiting on you.
- What is a chicken gizzard? This fried chicken gizzard recipe will make you the ultimate fan.
- Fried okra is the very best the south can offer! This fried okra recipe is the bee’s knees!
- I’m seriously in love with this chicken fried steak recipe! It is one of my most popular recipe. This Country fried steak is gold!
- Fried fish is the best, and this Fish and Chips recipe is amazing!
- If you love buttermilk fried chicken, this one will be your fave!
- I love some fried shrimp! This fried shrimp recipe is the best!
- Love fried catfish? This oven fried catfish will blow your mind.
- And for a side dish? These fried onion rings are incredible!
- If you love a good fish fry, I will teach you the best way to fry fish!
- 3 fresh green tomatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon paprika optional- go up to 1/4 teaspoon if you like spicy foods
- oil for frying
- Liberally season green tomato slices with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add flour and eggs to two separate small bowls.
- Combine cornmeal, panko crumbs and paprika into another small bowl and whisk together.
- Begin by dipping each seasoned tomato slice into flour coating on both sides.
- Next add floured tomato slice to eggs coating on both sides.
- Lastly dip into cornmeal and crumb mixture and set aside finished slice on baking sheet.
- Repeat dredging process, starting with flour, until all slices are coated.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Fry tomato slices on both sides until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.