Fried Green Tomatoes – Simple, classic and absolutely delicious. The crunchy golden batter of this fried green tomatoes recipe is the epitome of Southern charm and cuisine.
WHAT DO FRIED GREEN TOMATOES TASTE LIKE?
WHY FRY GREEN TOMATOES INSTEAD OF RED?
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES RECIPE
This Southern recipe is simple and so delicious. This Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe really allows the green tomato flavor to shine through but marries the tomatoes with a fantastic golden breading that crunches every single time you take a bite.
PICKING GREEN TOMATOES FOR FRYING
HOW TO MAKE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- Green tomatoes
- All-purpose flour
- Large eggs
- Panko bread crumbs
- Yellow cornmeal
- Cooking oil (canola or vegetable)
- Paprika (optional)
You’ll spend the majority of your time prepping your tomatoes: cutting them into 1/4-inch slices, seasoning them with salt and pepper and then dipping them into the fried green tomato batter.
FRIED GREEN TOMATO BATTER
HOW LONG TO FRY YOUR TOMATOES
GOT SOGGY GREEN TOMATOES?
So what are you waiting for, hurry out and get some green tomatoes! No procrastination necessary when this recipe is waiting on you.
MORE INCREDIBLE FRIED RECIPES
- I’m seriously in love with this chicken fried steak recipe! It is one of my most popular recipe. This Country fried steak is gold!
- Fried fish is the best, and this Fish and Chips recipe is amazing!
- If you love buttermilk fried chicken, this one will be your fave!
- I love some fried shrimp! This fried shrimp recipe is the best!
- Love fried catfish? This oven fried catfish will blow your mind.
- And for a side dish? These fried onion rings are incredible!
- If you love a good fish fry, I will teach you the best way to fry fish!
- 3 fresh green tomatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon paprika optional- go up to 1/4 teaspoon if you like spicy foods
- oil for frying
- Liberally season green tomato slices with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add flour and eggs to two separate small bowls.
- Combine cornmeal, panko crumbs and paprika into another small bowl and whisk together.
- Begin by dipping each seasoned tomato slice into flour coating on both sides.
- Next add floured tomato slice to eggs coating on both sides.
- Lastly dip into cornmeal and crumb mixture and set aside finished slice on baking sheet.
- Repeat dredging process, starting with flour, until all slices are coated.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Fry tomato slices on both sides until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
If your fried green tomatoes come out soggy, that means your cooking oil was not hot enough. Try the recipe again using a thermometer to make sure the oil reaches 350° F.