A yummy cheesy snack that is my homemade cheddar popcorn recipe. Stovetop popcorn is a quick and easy snack that everyone will love. Perfect for movie night, girls night, or game night even! A versatile snack that is literally finger lickin’ good.
If you love this popcorn, you’ll love this Chicago Mix Popcorn, Bacon Popcorn or sweet Caramel Corn. Enjoy even more decadence with my Salted Caramel Popcorn Brownies!
There’s just something about homemade cheddar cheese popcorn that makes it the ultimate snack for movie nights or binge-watching your favorite shows. The smell of warm, buttery goodness fills the room, making it impossible to resist reaching for a handful.
But it’s not just the aroma that makes homemade cheddar cheese popcorn so irresistible – it’s that real cheese taste. Unlike store-bought popcorn that often has a fake, artificial cheese flavor, homemade cheddar cheese popcorn is made with real cheddar cheese powder, giving it a rich, savory taste that’s hard to replicate and stop eating.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
Classic snack – When in doubt, make popcorn. The kids will love it, the boys will love it, you will love it!
Quick & Easy – Just a couple of minutes and a few ingredients are all you need before you can enjoy your very own homemade cheese popcorn.
Customizable! – Easy to customize with different flavor cheese powder, garlic powder, onion powder, or season salt. You can even add a sweet component like dried fruits and chocolate chips.
Cheddar Cheese Popcorn Recipe Ingredients
Who knew it was so easy to make cheddar cheese popcorn at home for a fraction of the cost of a store-bought bag of cheddar popcorn?
- Neutral flavored oil – Any high smoke point neutral oil like coconut oil, canola oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, etc. If all you have is olive oil that’s okay, just make sure to keep an eye on the popcorn as it could burn quickly.
- Popcorn kernels – Use either yellow or white popcorn kernels, both can be found at your local store.
- Unsalted butter – High-quality melted butter will offer a delicious buttery flavor.
- Kosher salt – Salt is great for added flavor and will help to elevate the cheddar cheese flavor. If you’ve needed to use salted butter, then just omit the salt.
- Cheddar cheese powder – Cheddar cheese powder can be found online for a very reasonable price. You’ll have plenty enough left over for future cheese popcorn.
How To Make Cheddar Popcorn
Step 1: Pop the popcorn kernels
Heat oil over medium in a 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid.
Once the oil is hot and rippling, add popcorn kernels and cover immediately. Gently shake the pot over the burner as kernels begin to pop. (Be careful of escaping steam.)
Continue cooking the kernels until popping slows and you hear one-two second between pops, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour popped corn into a large bowl.
Step 2: Assemble cheese popcorn.
While gently tossing, drizzle melted butter, salt, and cheese powder, evenly distributing all ingredients together.
Storing Homemade Cheese Popcorn
Before storing your leftover homemade cheese popcorn, let it cool completely. Warm popcorn will create condensation in the container it’s stored in. No one likes soggy popcorn.
Store in a cool dry place in a properly sealed airtight container. Glass, plastic, or a resealable bag are all great options. Homemade cheese popcorn will be it’s freshest for up to 5 days.
Cheddar Popcorn Recipe Variations
Spices: Swap out yellow cheese powder with white for white cheddar cheese popcorn. Grated parmesan cheese and garlic powder are also great flavor additions.
Air Popper: For an oil free natural flavor popcorn an air popper is ideal.
Expert Tips And FAQs
- Refreshing Popcorn: Spread onto a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes at 275 F, tossing halfway through.
Microwave popcorn is often pre-seasoned with salt and other flavors, which can compete with the cheddar cheese flavor. Additionally, microwave popcorn can sometimes be greasy, which can make it harder for the cheese powder to stick to the popcorn. If you want to make cheddar cheese popcorn at home, it’s best to start with plain, air-popped popcorn or popcorn that has been popped on the stovetop using oil. This will give you a neutral base to which you can add the cheddar cheese powder and other seasonings.
Storing leftover popcorn in a large brown paper bag may seem like a good thing to do but not for long term. While a paper bag can help to absorb moisture and keep the popcorn crunchy for a short time, it’s not airtight and can allow air and humidity to enter, which can cause the popcorn to become stale or soft over time.
More Tasty Snack Recipes
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
- 5-quart pot with lid
- 2 tablespoons Neutral flavored oil vegetable, grapeseed, etc.
- 1/2 cup Popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted* butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons Cheddar cheese powder*
- Heat oil over medium in a 5-quart pot with a tight fitting lid
- Once oil is hot and rippling, add popcorn kernels and cover immediately. Gently shake the pot over the burner as kernels begin to pop. (Be careful of escaping steam.)
- Continue cooking the kernels until popping slows and you hear one-two seconds between pops, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour popped corn into large bowl.
- While gently tossing, immediately add butter, salt, and cheese powder, evenly distributing all ingredients together.
- Enjoy immediately.
-Cheddar powder can be found online. To refresh popcorn: Spread onto a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes at 275 F, tossing halfway through.
Amy Liu Dong says
This is one of my favorite snacks, especially during movie nights.
It is so easy to make and definitely delicious!
I just made this recipe and it was so good, I recommend it for all popcorn lovers!
I’m so excited about this popcorn!! It is one of my favourite things to eat, so I know I will be making it over and over this summer 🙂
Wow! This looks like a fantastic treat for everyone, especially kids! This popcorn snack looks absolutely delicious and it’s overloaded with yummy cheese! Loved it!
Everyone loved the popcorn a little too much haha! Super easy and very tasty! Thanks again!