This Fresh Peach Pie Recipe combines ripe summer peaches, spices and sweetness under a delicate buttery and flaky crust! You will adore each and every bite of this pie! Different from my Southern Peach Cobbler , Peach Upside Down Cake or Peach Cobbler Bread Pudding even my Strawberry Crumbles, this is where fresh summer peaches shine!!
Peach season is the most important season in my world. Countless cobblers, crisps, cakes and beautiful peach pie recipes are made in my kitchen during the summer, and I would not have it any other way.
I understand that you would rather turn the oven off during the hot weather, but when you have luscious sweet peaches on deck, you have to do them justice, and this fresh peach pie recipe is the way to do so. If you are Georgia, you are super lucky because they even have a peach truck.
I don’t share a lot of traditional pies on this blog. My family is more of a cobbler and peach crisp loving crew but we do make mean pies! My big mama makes such lovely fresh peach pies that this recipe is an ode to her. With fresh picked peaches and a flaky crust, she definitely set the bar high on what a true fresh peach pie should taste like.
HOW TO MAKE PEACH PIE FILLING
To make the pie filling, you will need the following ingredients:
- Sugar (both brown and granulated are needed for this recipe)
- Fresh lemon juice and zest
- Vanilla extract
- All-Purpose Flour
I love to toss the fresh peach slices with both sugars. That addition of the molasses flavor really adds some depth. The citrus flavors of the lemon zest and juice really brighten the flavors of the peaches. Adding it also adds another dimension of flavor to your pie.
For additional flavor, I can’t get enough of pure vanilla extract. I add it to everything. For even more vanilla, you can add vanilla paste or vanilla bean seeds. Adding your favorite baking spices can really make peaches taste even better. Everything from nutmeg to cinnamon are key!
Finally I add flour to thicken the juices that will inevitably flow in this recipe. You don’t want too much of a syrup like cobblers have.
HOW TO MAKE A PIE CRUST FOR A PEACH PIE
It is sealed with my favorite pie crust recipe which I developed last year, and it is the only recipe I use. It has the perfect flaky texture but ironically is also very tender. I use this Pie Crust Recipe for everything because it always comes out so perfectly!
Tip: Just make sure you keep all of your ingredients super super cold! You want to make sure you keep the flakiness crust.
It also has a great flavor. By following my recipe, you end up with is the best pie crust ever.
HOW TO EGG WASH A PIE CRUST
After you add the peaches, dot with my favorite thing in the world, butter, you brush with an egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake this delight until golden brown and bubbly.
To make an egg wash, it is quite simple and I recommend you use this for all of your pie pastries. A simple combination of 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water beaten together does glorious things to your pie crust. It helps to brown it and give it a gorgeous golden color as it bakes.
There are no words for how fantastic this pie tastes. In fact, there is nothing more to say. On to this fab fresh peach pie recipe.
Fresh Peach Pie
For the Crust
- 1 pie crust using this recipe https://grandbaby-cakes.com/perfect-pie-crust-recipe/
For the Peach Filling:
- 6 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar adjust this based on sweetness of peaches
- Sprinkle salt
- Sprinkle nutmeg
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour go up to 5 if peaches are really watery
- 1/4 cup butter in small slices
- 1 large egg with 1 teaspoon of water beaten
- Raw sugar for garnish
For The Crust:
- Follow the instructions for the crust here: https://grandbaby-cakes.com/perfect-pie-crust-recipe/
For The Peach Filling:
- In a large bowl, add peaches, lemon est and juice, both sugars, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and flour and toss together until peaches are well coated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out half of the pie dough and place the rest in the refrigerator. Add rolled out pie dough to the bottom of your pie plate.
- Fill pie dough with peach filling.
- Dot top of peach filling with butter.
- Roll out remaining dough and add to the top of the peach filling in a full sheet, in a lattice design or in another decorative design of your choosing.
- Brush top of pie crush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and inside peach filling is bubbling.