The massive amazing reviews are in, and these perfect soft, buttery and unbelievably BEST Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies are the BEST you will ever find! They take your favorite chocolate chip cookies recipe to another level!! If you’ve ever tried my Southern Tea Cakes or even this Shortbread Cookie recipe, you will know I specialize in amazing cookies! The dough is irresistible, and if you want to take these even more over the top, try my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies or Sweet and Salty Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe!! See video below!!
A couple of years back, I did a series on my fave site The Everygirl showing you how to make Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies. Now its time to finally share all the tricks of the trade starting with this BEST Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe online.
Most people I know want this recipe. They desperately NEED the perfect Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe in their arsenal for game days, kids sleepovers and bake sales and Netflix marathons. This recipe was tested time and time and time again to create the best cookie you would find.
What Makes The BEST Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Ever? What Makes Cookies Chewy?
Ratios and slight changes in ingredients can make a world of difference in the outcome of whether a cookie turns out dry and crumbly or soft and chewy? To create a chewy cookie, you must add moisture and change texture.
For this to happen, I had to go through several tests to make sure that I not only built chewy factors in the ingredients but also into the actual bake time which makes a world of difference in what you end up with in the end!
How to Make Moist Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Sugar: Adding more brown sugar in this recipe increases moistness due to the addition of molasses. It changes the texture dramatically.
- Egg Ratio: This cookie recipe replaces on whole egg with two egg yolks. By omitting the egg white, the end result is softer and moister. Egg whites can stiffen the dough somewhat taking away the moistness we want.
How to Make Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Secret ingredient: By adding the secret ingredient cornstarch, the texture of the dough becomes softer and chewier. It’s like magic!
- Chill time: My chewy cookies need a little bit of chilling time. By chilling the dough, you create a firmer base that slows spreading and thinning as it bakes. This step is crucial and should not be skipped. Plan ahead when attempting these cookies.
- Baking Time: This is one of the most important steps for chewy cookies. You must slightly under bake. Underdone cookies are the key to soft cookies for days, though I don’t think these delicious treats will stick around that long.
This tricks and tips really are my secret to creating this best Perfect Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. I know you will absolutely enjoy these.
Variations: Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
Tips and Changes: A lot of people online have searched for chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar. If you omit the brown sugar in this recipe and replace with granulated sugar, you will create a totally different texture of cookie.
Just know that if you play with that sugar ratios, you will end up with something totally different though still quite tasty.
For another chewy cookie that really nails it, try these Key Lime Pie Cookies!
And if you prefer Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies, click HERE for the perfect recipe.
The BEST Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda and put aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add butter and both granulated and brown sugars and cream together for 3-4 minutes on high until light and fluffy.
- Next add in eggs one at a time beating until incorporated. Then add in pure vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Turn down your mixer to low and add in flour mixture in three intervals beating after each addition until well-combined. Lastly, add in chocolate chips.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Two hours is even better.
- Scoop cookie dough in balls the size of a tablespoon and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet at least 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-13 minutes then allow cookies to cool for at least 4-5 minutes then serve.