A perfect sweet and salty combo of butterscotch, pretzels and chocolate chips create the perfect flavor for these irresistibly soft homemade chocolate chip cookies with a twist! If you love incredible chocolate chip cookies, also check out my recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and my Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies! They are bangin!
MY FAVORITE SWEET AND SALTY COMBO: BUTTERSCOTCH PRETZEL HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE!
I’m super excited to share this recipe for my perfectly Sweet and Salty Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies! A combination of butterscotch and pretzel make these the best of both worlds when it comes to flavor and palate.
I made these cookies early this morning on Good Morning America and the video is below in the recipe!! Check it out! You will definitely want to eat these again and again.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE HOMEMADE COOKIES SWEET AND SALTY
The key ingredients that make these cookies sweet and salty are a combination of butterscotch chips and pretzel pieces. Because I wanted the pretzel to be mixed throughout every bite of the cookie, I decided to chop them pretty finely. Each bite gets that nice salty flavor.
The butterscotch are deliciously sweet, almost candy like. The combination of these flavors is exceptional. Combined with the chocolate chips and with a final sprinkle of sea salt, you really get a rich flavor burst as soon as you bite in.
For other key ingredients that make these cookies sensational, you will need the following:
- Sugars (You will need two!)
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Here are some tips I use to create a perfect texture and taste for my butterscotch pretzel cookies. Besides using two different flavor profiles, I believe in the texture being perfect. It really comes down to the following:
Sugar Ratio: I use more brown sugar than granulated sugar. Brown sugar, due to the addition of molasses, has more moisture in it resulting in a chewier cookie.
Egg Ratio: This cookie has two egg yolks in addition to one egg. The egg yolks give the dough more fat content resulting in more chewiness.
Secret Ingredient: Cornstarch is what I add to my cookies to make them chewier. When combined with flour, it can help to soften the cookies changing the texture like magic.
Chill Time: Do not skip the chilling of the dough. It is essential for two reasons:
- It helps to make sure your dough doesn’t spread too much and keeps it shape while it bakes.
- The resting time allows the flour to absorb some of the liquids (chewy cookies have more moisture in their batter) in the dough which also helps to set the cookie’s structure.
These cookies are truly sensational, and if you adore other homemade cookies like these, make sure you check out these recipes as well!
- Southern Tea Cakes
- Key Lime Pie Cookies
- Shortbread Cookies
- Butter Ricotta Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Sweet and Salty Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pretzels
- Optional Garnish: mini pretzels and sea salt mini pretzels and sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda and put aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add butter and both granulated and brown sugars and cream together for 3-4 minutes on high until light and fluffy.
- Next add in eggs one at a time beating until incorporated. Then add in pure vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Turn down your mixer to low and add in flour mixture in three intervals beating after each addition until well-combined. Lastly, add in chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and chopped pretzels.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Two hours is even better.
- Scoop cookie dough in balls the size of a tablespoon and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet at least 1 1/2 inches apart. Carefully press a mini pretzel into the center of each cookie and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bake 11-13 minutes then allow cookies to cool for at least 4-5 minutes then serve.