Delicious Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Perfect For Entertaining!
As the seasons start changing and the weather begins to cool, oversized cozy sweaters find their way out of the closet and comfort food cravings kick in. We huddle over warm stoves stirring pots of stew, layering lasagnas and dolloping cookie dough both into our mouths and onto baking sheets. Although I can’t resist a nibble of homemade cookie dough, there is one other recipe I find myself craving time and time again.
What Are Stuffed Cabbage Rolls ?
Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls VS. Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls or Golabki is considered the authentic rolls because of its major prominence in Poland. They are served for entertaining and are really a cuisine staple in Poland. The flavors are very similar to these in a lot of ways.
The Hungarian rolls have a different style of topping than the traditional tomato sauce and include dijon mustard creating a very different flavor profile.
Here in the U.S., stuffed cabbage rolls are prominent in Cajun and Louisiana Creoles in the southern part of the country. No matter the variation, each of the regions create a unique and delicious take on this perfect comfort food. This one is definitely inspired by cajun cuisine, and has that spicy kick of flavor to prove it.
This recipe is as pure and comforting as they come. That warm bellied feeling that comes with each bite is something I look forward to every time I make these rolls.
How To Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Ground chuck (you can also replace with ground turkey as well for a lighter option)
- Bell pepper
Can You Make Cabbage Rolls In a Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! Just add and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until tender.
How To Make Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Simply omit meat and continue recipe as planned.
What Goes With Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
- This Classic Beef Stew is as comforting as it comes.
- This Chicken Fried Steak is a favorite of my followers! They say it is truly the best they have ever had!
- This Succotash recipe is also an incredible side dish with tons of Southern flair!
- And don’t forget this New Orleans BBQ Shrimp and Grits for more creole flavor!
- Or this Shrimp Etouffee!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 1 large cabbage
- 2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomatoes with chiles
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- cayenne to taste
- Add lots of water to a large pot over high heat. Once water begins to boil, add cabbage and cook for 5 minutes. Finally remove large leaves and reserve.
- Mix together ground chuck, onion, bell pepper, celery, rice, half of the tomatoes and tomato sauce, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Now take your large cabbage leaves and place rounded tablespoons of the beef and rice mixture into each leaf. Each time, roll up the leaf, tucking the edges under as you roll.
- Add the rolls to a large, heavy pot and pour the remaining tomatoes and tomato sauce over rolls. Sprinkle with additional salt (and cayenne pepper if desired).
- Cover pot tightly and steam for about 1- 1 1/2 hours over medium low heat.