These fun Margarita Cupcakes are filled with bright citrus flavors, a hint of margarita mix then topped with a wonderful berry buttercream.
The Highlights and Perks of these Margarita Cupcakes
Cuisine Inspiration: Mexican cuisine with a sweet, berry twist.
Primary Cooking Method: Baking
Dietary Info: These treats are vegetarian-friendly, though they do contain dairy and gluten.
Key Flavor: Zesty lime, a kick of tequila, and the sweet, fruity burst of berries in the buttercream.
Skill Level Required: Intermediate. The recipe requires precision in both baking and frosting
- A Twist on a Classic: Who says margaritas are just for sipping? We’ve turned your favorite cocktail into a cupcake!
- Berry Bliss: The American buttercream gets a fruity makeover with the addition of fresh berries.
- Crowd Pleaser: Whether for a party or a personal treat, these cupcakes are sure to draw a crowd and leave your guests raving.
- Vegetable Oil: Bringing in the moisture! This is our secret to super moist cupcakes that keep you coming back for more.
- Unsalted Butter: Creamy and rich, it gives our batter that luxurious taste and texture.
- Sour Cream: Tangy and creamy, it adds richness and ensures our cupcakes are ridiculously tender.
- FrozenMargarita flavor: This brings in the iconic margarita flavor straight into our batter.
- Tequila or Fresh Lime Juice: A little boozy kick or zesty lime twist – choose your adventure!
- Grated Lime Zest: The zest of the party, bringing fresh and tangy vibes to every bite.
For the Buttercream:
- Mixed Blackberries and Strawberries: This brings a fruity slightly tart contrast.
- Optional – Sugar Crystals for Decoration: Sprinkle these on for a bit of sparkle and crunch!
How to Make Margarita Cupcakes
- Get Started: Warm up your oven to a cozy 325°F and line those muffin pans with paper liners.
- Mixing Magic: Grab your mixer and throw in the oil and butter, beating them together on high then gradually introduce the sugar, and let it whip up until it’s pale yellow and oh-so-fluffy.
- Egg Action: Crack those eggs in, one by one, making sure each gets fully acquainted with the mix before adding the next. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides!
- Dry Ingredients: Now, take it down a notch to low speed, and gently add in your flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Don’t overbeat.
- Wet Ingredients: Add in the sour cream, Frozen Margarita flavor, tequila, lime juice, and zest.
- Bake it Pour the batter into the liners, filling each just three-quarters of the way. Pop it on a baking sheet and bake for 17-19 minutes – you’re looking for set centers.
For the Buttercream Icing:
- Berry Bliss: Blend the berries in a food processor or blender until they’re pure, smooth goodness.
- Butter: Add in the butter before raining in the confectioner’s sugar on low then crank it up to medium-high.
- Flavor: Add a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Berry Time: Time for the berry puree! 2-3 tablespoons should do, blended until your buttercream is fluffy and smooth.
- Pipe it Pretty: Now, grace those cooled cupcakes with your berrylicious buttercream, and a sprinkle of sugar crystals for that final touch. The sugar crystals mimic the salt on the rim of a margarita..
How to Store
Store your Margarita Cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. If you need to keep them longer, they can be refrigerated for up to a week, but make sure to bring them back to room temperature before serving for the best flavor and texture.
How to Serve
These are super fun to serve in a Mexican fiesta inspired event. Try the following ideas for creating a menu:
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Turkey Empanadas
- Mexican Rice
- Sheet Pan Beef Fajitas
- Elote Dip
- Chicken Pozole
Other Fun Summer Cupcake Recipes to Try
- Lemon Cupcakes with Mojito Frosting
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Blackberry Limeade Cupcakes
- Pineapple Cupcakes
- Raspberry Lemon Poke Cupcakes
Berry Margarita Cupcakes Recipe
For the Cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup vegetable oi
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup Frozen BACARDI® Mixers Margarita flavor
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tequila or freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
For the Buttercream:
- ½ cup mixed blackberries and strawberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Optional: sugar crystals for decoration
For the Cupcakes:
- Start by preheating your oven to 325°F then place paper liners in 2 12-cup muffin pans. You will need 4 more so you can wait until a batch of cupcakes bake before lining with the remaining ones.
- In your mixer bowl, add oil and butter and beat for 2 minutes on high speed. Slowly add in sugar and beat on high speed for an additional 4-5 minutes until very pale yellow and fluffy. Next, add eggs, one at a time, combining well after each addition and scraping down the sides as needed.
- Turn your mixer down to its lowest speed, and slowly add flour into batter in two increments then add baking powder, salt and baking soda. Be careful not to over beat.
- Lastly, add sour cream, Frozen Margarita flavor, tequila, lime juice, lime zest, and scrape down sides and mix until just combined and turn off mixer.
- Evenly pour batter into prepared muffin pan liners filing three-quarters of the way full. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until completely set in the center. Let cool completely to room temperature before adding any frosting.
For the buttercream icing:
- Add berries to a food processor or heavy duty blender and blend until smooth puree develops. Set aside.
- Add butter to bowl of your stand mixer on low speed. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar. Once incorporated, turn mixer up to medium high speed.
- Add in vanilla extract and salt.
- Lastly, add 2-3 tablespoons of puree to the buttercream and mix until fluffy and smooth.
- Pipe buttercream on cooled cupcakes and garnish with sugar crystals if desired.