Berry Margarita Cupcakes Recipe: A fun summer cupcake filled with delicious margarita flavors and Bacardi Mixers and topped with sensational berry buttercream.
I recently finished writing down my goals for this summer. Are you ready to read all about it? Basically the list consists of two things: relaxing and having as much fun as humanly possible. Whether I’m by the pool, lounging in a chair on my deck or taking an afternoon nap, the word for my summer is “Chillax”.
While I’m maximizing the art of chillaxing, I’m definitely planning on indulging in one of my fave drinks: the margarita. I love the notes of lime and the great refreshing flavor, especially on a hot day. It is truly one of my fave summer drinks. I could seriously have a field day making them, and Frozen BACARDI ® Margarita Mixers makes it so easy! They come in 7 amazing flavors and will make hosting during the summer a breeze!
However if you know me, you know I love to eat my cocktails as much as I like to drink them. So I decided to have a little fun and create a Margarita-inspired Cupcake using the Frozen BACARDI® Margarita flavor. The mixer gave this Berry Margarita cupcakes recipe all of the qualities that I absolutely love about margaritas.
The cupcake batter is perfectly moist, sweet, tender and light. There is wonderful lime flavor throughout highlighted by the zest and hint of lime juice. There is also an optional splash of tequila that really amps up the cocktail essence. However the true star here is the Frozen BACARDI ® Mixer, which takes these cupcakes to new margarita heights.
The topping is a lovely buttercream, perfect for summer entertaining. I mixed in fresh summer berries like blackberries and strawberries, and it is simply irresistible. There is no better time to use berries than now. They are perfectly ripe and nature’s summer jewels, so adding them to this frosting was the best decision ever.
The final result is the perfect berry margarita in cupcake form. It is officially time to get your summer started with these!
Disclosure: This recipe was sponsored by BACARDI® but all opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for the partnership.
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup Frozen BACARDI® Mixers Margarita flavor
- 1 tablespoon tequila or freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup mixed blackberries and strawberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Optional: sugar crystals for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and fill a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Add butter to bowl of standing mixer and beat on medium high speed. Slowly pour in granulated sugar and continue to mix until light, fluffy and well combined.
- Add in eggs, one at a time.
- Turn mixer down to slowest speed. Carefully add in flour, lime zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt then add in Frozen BACARDI ® Mixers Margarita flavor, tequila, lime juice and oil and mix until just combined. Don't overmix!
- Using an ice cream scooper, fill each cupcake liner ¾ full and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Place cupcake pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Add berries to a food processor or heavy duty blender and blend until smooth puree develops. Set aside.
- Add butter to bowl of your stand mixer on low speed. Slowly add in confectioner's sugar. Once incorporated, turn mixer up to medium high speed.
- Add in vanilla extract and salt.
- Lastly, add 2-3 tablespoons of puree to the buttercream and mix until fluffy and smooth.
- Pipe buttercream on cooled cupcakes and garnish with sugar crystals if desired.