This Homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe adds hearty, biscuit-style dumplings to a rich, thickened chicken stew filled with vegetables, aromatics and so much flavor! This is pure comfort food. It is also the WINNER of The Kitchn Chicken and Dumplings Showdown!! Find the full review HERE!
Disclosure: I partnered with Land O Lakes® for this post, but all opinions expressed here are my own. I am grateful for authentic partnerships like this.
The Most Delicious Comforting Southern Chicken and Dumplings Recipe Ever!
Don’t ask me when and don’t ask me how, but at some point in my life, Chicken and Dumplings became my go-to comfort meal. Through rough break-ups, week-long bouts of the flu and not-so-great work days, I’ve relied on the satisfaction that comes with a big ol’ bowl of this stuff. Each bite is hearty and warms the belly until you’re lulled into a coma that can only be enjoyed by lounging on the couch.
What are Chicken and Dumplings? Where did this Chicken and Dumplings recipe come from?
Nothing says “Southern meal” more than a heaping bowl of steaming hot chicken and dumplings. In this case, rich chicken in a creamy broth filled with assorted root vegetables and topped with tender biscuit-style dumplings.
Women have been cooking up floury dishes as far back as 1600, but it wasn’t until 1879 that recipes for adding chicken to dumpling dishes were published. Since then, recipes for Chicken and Dumplings have made their way across the country. However, none compare to those that were cultivated in the South. Especially not the one I grew up with (you’ll see).
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch
Chicken and Dumplings is a simple recipe that is just as comforting to make as it is to enjoy. There’s something soothing about stirring a big pot while listening to your favorite music or rolling your dumplings as rain taps against your kitchen window. So, bust out the big pot, put your worries aside and get ready to eat well tonight!
Making the Filling for Easy Chicken and Dumplings Effortless!
Start by preparing your filling, which is arguably the hidden gem of this recipe. Its base begins with a key ingredient that you’ll always find in my kitchen: Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil.
Made with sweet cream, canola oil and salt, Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil gives you the fresh butter taste we all love. The added canola oil also allows you to cook at a higher heat which means you can cook your veggies and brown your chicken beautifully.
Time Saving Tips: I add store bought rotisserie chicken to my chicken and dumplings to save a ton of time and effort. If you have time, make one.
How to Make Dumplings for Chicken and Dumplings
Your dumplings are the star of the show and they need lots of love. You want them to be light, fluffy and studded with aromatic parsley. Be gentle with your dough and stir slowly; don’t mix past the point of being combined. You want your dough to be loose and well-aerated. Use a spoon to form your dumplings and carefully drop them into the broth. Don’t use your hands as packing the dough will create tough, chewy dumplings.
How Do You Tell if Your Dumplings are Done?
A super easy test for your dumplings is after the 20-minute cook time, cut into a dumpling and make sure the inside isn’t raw. After that, you are ready to enjoy! Slip into your comfy clothes, scoop up every bit of goodness and don’t forget to go back for seconds.
Southern Chicken and Dumplings
For the Chicken
- 1/2 cup Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil divided (or salted butter- should have salt)
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 3 celery stalks finely diced
- 5 medium carrots peeled and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock make sure you use a flavorful one or add chicken bouillon cube to yours for additional flavor
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
For the Dumplings
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil melted
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley for garnish
For the Chicken
- Add ¼ cup of the Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil to large pot over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion, celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies get somewhat tender and soft, about 5-6 minutes then remove and set aside until later.
- Melt remaining ¼ cup of Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil over medium-low heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk, allowing it to brown somewhat until it becomes golden brown, about 8-12 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken stock (make sure you are getting the bits of roux stuck to the bottom of the pan too), turn heat back up to medium and allow it to get smooth then bring to a boil.
- Add the shredded chicken and cooked vegetables to the pot and allow sauce to somewhat thicken. Taste for seasoning and add final salt and pepper to taste.
For the Dumplings
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk together.
- Next add in buttermilk, egg and melted Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil until just combined. The mixture should be thick.
- Using a spoon, drop dollops of dough into the pot spacing out somewhat. They will stay on top and won’t sink. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low.
- Allow dumplings to cook and puff up without lifting the cover for about 20 minutes, then test dumpling by cutting in half. The dough shouldn’t be raw. If it needs more time, cover with lid and allow to cook a bit longer.
- Scoop into bowls and sprinkle with parsley to serve.