Banana Pudding Pie – Adapted from a Southern Living recipe, this banana pudding pie recipe has caramelized bananas along with a pudding filling to die for!
I baked this for my brother-in-law who just got out of the hospital. He is the biggest fan of banana pudding pie. I wanted to switch things up a bit though and make something special. I believe the best gifts are homemade and filled with love.
BANANA PUDDING PIE
I recently featured a homemade banana pudding recipe on my website that I got from Carla Hall’s book, Soulfood. It reminded me of the first version of any type of banana pudding recipe I ever made, which is this banana pudding pie. I can remember my family making banana pudding a few times when I was growing up, but it was never my favorite. Well, it definitely is a favorite of my husband’s family. While growing up, banana pudding was a mainstay dessert for
any holiday or family get together in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. I wanted to put a twist on the cliched banana pudding recipe and that’s how I came up with this pie.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA PUDDING PIE
If you’ve make homemade pie in the past, then making this pie recipe will be a snap. First, you have to make the pie crust which consists of a combination of crushed vanilla wafers and melted butter. Next, caramelize your banana slices by cooking them with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Placed the cooked bananas on the pie crust you created. Then, make your vanilla cream filling. Top your caramelized bananas with the filling and top the filling with whole 20 whole vanilla wafers. Next, create a meringue by beating egg whites at a high speed with an electric mixer, add sugar (1 tbsp. at a time) and beat until stiff peaks from and the sugar dissolves. Spread it over the vanilla cream filling and then bake the pie for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!*
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
Banana Pudding Pie
Banana Pudding Pie - Adapted from a Southern Living recipe, this banana pudding pie recipe has caramelized bananas along with a pudding filling to die for!Print Pin Rate
- 1 box vanilla wafers divided
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 large bananas sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Set aside 30 vanilla wafers; pulse remaining vanilla wafers in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until coarsely crushed. (Yield should be about 2 1/2 cups.) Stir together crushed vanilla wafers and 1/2 cup melted butter until blended. Firmly press on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a 9-inch pieplate.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Cook brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly. Add banana slices; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
- Arrange caramelized banana slices evenly over bottom of crust.
- Prepare Vanilla Cream Filling. Whisk together 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of flour, 2 large eggs, 4 egg yolks, and 2 cups of milk in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until it reaches the thickness of chilled pudding. (Mixture will just begin to bubble and will be thick enough to hold soft peaks when whisk is lifted.) Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Use immediately.
- Spread half of hot filling over bananas in pie plate; top with 20 vanilla wafers. Spread remaining hot filling over vanilla wafers. (Filling will be about 1/4 inch higher than top edge of crust.)
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add remaining sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing the edges.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and let cool 1 hour on a wire rack or until completely cool. Coarsely crush remaining 10 vanilla wafers, and sprinkle evenly over top of pie. Chill 4 hours.
Calories: 3506kcal | Carbohydrates: 419g | Protein: 56g | Fat: 182g | Saturated Fat: 106g | Cholesterol: 1523mg | Sodium: 1823mg | Potassium: 1230mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 384g | Vitamin A: 6560IU | Calcium: 826mg | Iron: 6.2mg