Classic homemade crispy fried onion rings are dredged in buttermilk and battered in a highly seasoned flour. The results are absolutely delicious! Now you can make restaurant quality onion rings at home!
There are two types of people in the world: Fry people and Onion Ring people. I happen to be one of the later. This doesn’t mean that I dislike or hate fries. In fact, I love fries. Absolutely love fries. But I ADORE onion rings.
There is no secret that I love to fry things on this site. I fry chicken regularly; I fry steak; I fry tomatoes; I fry okra and more. I’m a great fryer. We get that. It was only a matter of time before I dropped my crispy fried onion rings recipe on ya! And it was well worth the wait.
While frying stuff isn’t all that healthy for you, I believe that you can have fried foods in moderation. I don’t eat something fried every single day. Most of the time, we bake in my house so I feel no qualms about indulging in these heavenly homemade crispy fried onion rings from time to time. So let me tell you about how special these things are.
I love using a seasoned flour when I fry. I keep a batch on hand for most frying needs. This flour contains tons of flavor with a bit of spicy heat to make your tastebuds sing. To make sure these babies get super crispy with a fantastic crust, I dipped first in flour then into buttermilk and then back into the flour. The results are the most perfect crust imaginable. I know for sure that you will absolutely adore this! And you should trust me by now.
- What is a chicken gizzard? This fried chicken gizzard recipe will make you the ultimate fan.
- This fried green tomatoes recipe is the best one on the web!
- Fried okra is the very best the south can offer! This fried okra recipe is the bee’s knees!
- I’m seriously in love with this chicken fried steak recipe! It is one of my most popular recipe. This Country fried steak is gold!
- If you love buttermilk fried chicken, this one will be your fave!
- I love some fried shrimp! This fried shrimp recipe is the best!
- Love fried catfish? This oven fried catfish will blow your mind.
Crispy Fried Onion Rings
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons yellow corn meal
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 onions sliced into 1/3-1/2 inch rings
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Add flour, seasoned salt, corn meal, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper to a paper bag and shake to mix well.
- Dip each onion ring into seasoned flour then dip into buttermilk then back into seasoned flour coating all sides. Set each battered onion ring on a parchment covered baking sheet to rest until all onion rings are battered.
- While coating sets, add 3-3 1/2 inches of oil to a cast iron or heavy bottom pot and heat over medium high heat. Also turn on oven to 275 degrees.
- Fry onion rings 4 at a time, not over crowding. Fry on each side until golden brown then remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- Add finished onion rings to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm until all are fried. Serve when ready.