This Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe (Made on Good Morning America with How To Video) is filled with fluffy eggs, irresistible bacon, garlicky greens, hearty hash browns and cheese! You can even make it ahead to serve for brunch! Serve this with this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole, Chorizo Breakfast Skillet, Baked Cheese Grits or Creamy Grits, Baked French Toast, and Biscuits for the perfect breakfast!
Delicious and Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe Filled With Amazing Fillings!
Most mornings in my house are hectic and honestly, way too short. Each day begins with the sounds of my daughter calling out for food, play or cuddles. Once I’ve finally convinced myself to roll out of bed, the clock speeds up and suddenly, it’s a race that continues throughout the rest of the day.
I do my best to savor the first couple hours with my family by reading books, singing and watching cartoons. But, in the craziness of it all, I almost never find time to cook breakfast. So instead we make smoothies or munch on the frozen biscuits I’ve dug out of the back of the freezer.
Every now and then I crave a little more substance to my morning: something warm and comforting. So, I bust out the casserole dish and crack a few eggs for this scrumptious Breakfast Casserole. I recently made it on Good Morning America! It might take a little extra time but I NEVER regret it. You won’t either!
HOW TO MAKE A BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
I’m a big fan of a recipe that allows room for customization. This casserole is one I can make a thousand times over and still find a way to make it new again. There are endless ways to make it healthier, cheesier or heartier.
Choose Your Meat Filling (Skip If Vegetarian)
- Turkey Bacon
If you’re using a raw meat be sure to cook it (at least partially) before adding it to the rest of the mixture.
Pick Your Veggies
- Bell Peppers
- Greens (spinach, collard, asparagus, broccoli, etc.)
- Diced Tomatoes (roma, heirloom or cherry)
- Summer Squash or Zucchini
- Jalapeno or Serrano (adjust to heat preference)
This is a great chance to use up the last bit of frozen veggies hiding out in the freezer! Briefly microwave the veggies to defrost them and use paper towels to clean up the excess water. Added moisture will make for a soggy casserole.
Add Some Cheese
- White or Yellow Cheddar (choose your own sharpness)
- Pepper Jack
Okay, the varieties of cheese out there are seemingly endless. You can pretty much use anything you want as long as it melts well. Again, this is a great opportunity to use any leftover cheese you’ve got in the fridge.
Use this recipe as an outlet to get creative and make a casserole that is all your own. Don’t forget to tell me about your masterpiece in the comments!
Need A MAKE AHEAD BREAKFAST? Make This Breakfast Bake The Night Before!
Want to save some time in the morning? Why not make this casserole the night before and give yourself more time to lounge in those cozy pajamas?
Assemble the casserole according the instructions then cover the dish and refrigerate overnight. Before baking, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Build A Brunch Menu
Let’s face it, it’s too cold outside to make it to this weekends’ brunch. Why bother to bundle up if you can have the same yummy breakfast treats at home? Make it a potluck and share a few of these recipes with your family and friends!
- BIG MAMA’S BISCUITS
- BROWN SUGAR BAKED TURKEY BACON
- BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
- HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS
- MEXICAN BREAKFAST FLAUTAS
Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb bacon thinly diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup greens I use collard greens or spinach, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper seeds removed and finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups frozen hash browns (you don’t have to thaw these)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally to ensure they don’t stick. Cook until bacon is crispy and golden brown. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon leaving the bacon grease in the skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Once drained, roughly chop the bacon and set aside.
- Add the onion, red and green peppers and greens to the skillet with bacon grease and cook over medium heat until tender. Once tender, add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Set aside and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add eggs and milk and whisk together until well beaten and combined. Stir in the cooked vegetables, hash browns, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Add the majority of bacon to eggs as well and stir together. Finally season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs into the baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes so the eggs start to set up. Carefully add remaining chopped bacon to the top of the eggs. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are firm and the top is slightly golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- To save time, Make Ahead! Pour the egg mixture in the pan and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bake when ready to serve.