These are the BEST Hash Browns Ever! Perfectly crispy and fried until golden brown on the outside and wonderfully tender on the inside, this is a perfect hash brown recipe! Make this popular breakfast side right at home and give up the diner! Easy, flavorful and absolutely delicious!
I love greasy spoons. Ya know. The kind with late-night hours, kitschy diner decor, sassy waitresses, and the best breakfast food you can imagine.
While you all know how much I adore pancakes, there is something quite special to me about crispy hash browns (really breakfast potatoes in general to be honest).
Sure I will still be hitting my local greasy spoon whenever the craving strikes but if I need a quick and delicious fix, I don’t have to look any further than my very own kitchen.
Why You Will Love The Best Hash Browns
- An easy way to cook perfectly crispy hash browns each and every time!
- Everyone’s favorite breakfast food!
- A budget-friendly way to enjoy just-like-the-diner crispy hash browns.
You don’t need much to make the best crispy breakfast potatoes this weekend! Here’s the list:
- Potatoes: Crispy hash browns start with using quality potatoes. I like to use russet potatoes. They are sturdy and create a wonderful texture. You could also use sweet potatoes for a sweet yet savory flavor and twist on a classic.
- Oil and butter: The butter adds flavor to your hash browns while the oil helps keep it from burning.
- Salt and pepper: For flavor!
How to Make Hash Browns
These hash brown potatoes are crisp, crunchy, buttery, salty, and oh-so lovely. After enjoying several hundreds of orders (I’m sure at least 100) of hash browns in my life, I decided I should really start making them at home, and they couldn’t be any easier.
- Shred the potatoes. Use a CHEESE GRATER to make the perfect shredded potatoes! So simple and really easy.
PRO TIP: Use the larger holes so you can get large enough potato shreds to have substantial flavor and taste.
- Get rid of the moisture. Lay the shredded potatoes on a paper towel and then squeeze to remove as much water as possible.
PRO TIP: Potatoes contain a lot of moisture, so to get super crispy hash browns, you must dry them out before cooking.
- Add the butter and oil to a skillet and heat on the stove over medium heat.
- Add salt and pepper to the potatoes while cooking to give that perfect diner hash brown recipe flavor!
- Cook on one side until a golden brown crust forms and then flip it over and cook on the other side.
What to Serve With Hash Browns
Serve them up with other classic diner faves such as eggs and bacon or try one of these other breakfast recipes!
- This Southern grits recipe is perfect or you might enjoy these savory cheese grits.
- Enjoy them along with some chicken and waffles , amazing candied bacon that has a sweet yet savory vibe or with a plate of crispy, fluffy buttermilk waffles on their own!
- Ever tried johnny cakes or hoe cakes? These are the ones to try for your upcoming brunch!
- Perfect pancakes are my jam! These lemon ricotta pancakes, easy blueberry pancakes recipe, and even these apple pancakes are incredible!
- You must dry the shredded potatoes on paper towels and ring them out as much as possible.
- Don’t skimp on the salt and pepper! Potatoes soak up a lot of salt so don’t be stingy with it.
- Cook the potatoes in the skillet without moving so that it forms that nice crisp crust on the outside.
- Enjoy hash browns freshly cooked for the best flavor.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to four days but don’t freeze. You can reheat them in a skillet until hot.
The addition of butter and oil is great because it is both incredibly flavorful from the butter but it won’t burn. The oil helps to make sure that the potatoes won’t burn.
The secret to crispy hash browns, like Ihop and other diners, is to make sure to dry the potatoes as much as possible. Lay them out on a paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible.
More Potato Recipes
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- How to Bake a Potato
- Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Homemade Hash Browns Recipe
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Using a cheese grater, grate all potatoes until completely shredded. Use the large holes of the grater to get nice sized shreds.
- Place potato shreds on paper towels and remove all excess liquid from them until dry.
- Heat butter and oil over medium high heat in a large skillet (add more butter and oil if the entire surface of the skillet is not covered).
- Once butter/oil mixture is hot, add potato shreds to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Once a golden brown crust develops on the bottom of the potatoes, flip them on the other side.
- Once golden brown on both sides, season to taste and serve hot.
This post was originally published April 2016. It has been updated with new content and images.