The BEST Hash Browns: This is a perfect hash brown recipe! Easy, flavorful and absolutely delicious! Make this popular breakfast side right at home and give up the diner!
I love greasy spoons. Ya know. The kind with late night hours, kitchy diner decor, sassy waitresses and the best breakfast food you can imagine. The Waffle House immediately comes to mind when we are talking chains. Back in my college youth during my clubbing years, these were the types of spots my group of friends could not wait to get to after dancing into the wee hours.
As soon as you enter, you can smell the pancakes (these are my faves to make at home now), french toast, orders of eggs and hash browns ripe on the griddle. While you all know how much I adore pancakes, there is something quite special to me about hash browns (really potatoes in general to be honest).
Growing up, my mama used to make these fantastic cubed potatoes, which were more like home fries with onions. The potatoes were so tender and flavorful. Whenever she would make them, I would dream about them for weeks to come. This dish really was the reason why I started ordering hash browns whenever I went out for breakfast at my favorite diners. I wanted to duplicate the taste but didn’t realize how different they were.
The perfect hash brown recipe is the total opposite of my mama’s potatoes. They are crisp and crunchy and buttery and salty and oh so lovely. They each have a place in my heart. After enjoying several hundreds of orders (I’m sure at least 100) of hash browns in my life, I decided I should really start making them at home, and they couldn’t be any easier. That’s where this perfect hash brown recipe comes from. Simply shred your potatoes with a grater and add them to a skillet with butter and oil over medium heat and watch the magic unfold.
Sure I will still be hitting my local greasy spoon whenever the craving strikes but if I need a quick and delicious fix, I don’t have to look any further than my very own kitchen.
- Ever want to know how to make grits? This southern grits recipe is perfect!
- This Chicken and Waffles recipe is everything!! The buttermilk waffles are a dream.
- Ever tried a johnny cakes or hoe cakes? These are the ones to try for your upcoming brunch!
- Perfect pancakes are my jam! These lemon ricotta pancakes, or this easy blueberry pancakes recipe and even these brown sugar pancakes are incredible!
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Using a cheese grater, grate all potatoes until completely shredded. Use the large holes of the grater to get nice sized shreds.
- Place potato shreds on paper towels and remove all excess liquid from them until dry.
- Heat butter and oil over medium high heat in a large skillet (add more butter and oil if the entire surface of the skillet is not covered).
- Once butter/oil mixture is hot, add potato shreds to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Once a golden brown crust develops on the bottom of the potatoes, flip them on the other side.
- Once golden brown on both sides, season to taste and serve hot.