A decadent and rich vanilla based ice cream filled with chocolate cookies and cream sandwiches sprinkled throughout. The Best Cookies and Cream Ice Cream recipe on the web! If you love this, you will also love this Oreo Cheesecake , Corn Ice Cream and Peach Pie Ice Cream.
What can I tell you about homemade cookies and cream ice cream that you don’t already know? Probably not much. I guess I can just share with you how revelatory homemade ice cream truly is.
MY FIRST ENCOUNTERS WITH HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
When I first tasted homemade ice cream, I wondered where it had been all my life. Of course, it was my Big Mama’s homemade vanilla ice cream that first hooked me. I remember it so vividly. It was a summer in the 80’s when my family came to visit my grandparents in Mississippi. Summers in Mississippi are beyond hot. Sweltering is probably a better word to describe it. Those days I remember a lot of fans around the house blasting at full speed and several glasses of ice cold sweet tea to keep you remotely comfortable.
MY BIG MAMA’S HOMEMADE ICE CREAM PROCESS
Well on the very hottest day of our visit when sweat beads were literally a permanent fixture on my forehead, Big Mama pulled out an old salt rock ice cream maker and filled it with ice. She made a beautifully silky custard over the stove top, sweetened it to taste, allowed it to cool, poured it into the maker, and cranked it until a lovely soft serve texture of ice cream began to develop. She froze it while she made dinner but honestly all any of us could think about was that ice cream.
COOKIES AND CREAM ICE CREAM RECIPE
My Big Mama’s homemade ice cream recipe is the basis for this Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Recipe. My Big Mama’s recipe was utter perfection; creamy and delightful in every possible way. This new ice cream recipe is just as good and actually takes the original one to a new level. The chocolate and cream sandwich cookies combined with the original recipe puts Cold Stone Creamery to shame. This homemade cookies and cream ice cream is just another trick pulled from my frozen dessert hat. Hope you enjoy!
Here are some more tremendous Grandbaby Cakes homemade ice cream recipes:
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- No Churn Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Oreo Red Velvet Ice Cream
- Mocha Fudge Swirl Ice Cream
Cookies And Cream Ice Cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 1/2 cups Cookies and Cream Sandwich Cookies, crushed based on preference
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once almost finished, pour crushed cookies and allow to mix in during last 2-3 minutes of churning.
- Store in freezer while not serving.
Patricia Cook says
I want to thank you for some of the most wonderful recipes… Your family is truly blessed in the kitchen <3 I used this recipe as a base to many recipes that I have made… May you and yours continue to be blessed and always have the good that you put out in the world, to come back on to you <3 Thanks Again… God Bless <3
Marilyn Lisenbee says
Love the blueberry pancakes and can’t wait to fix them for hubs.
I so enjoy your blog and almost always want to fix something you feature.
Thanks a million!
Hello! So I just tried this recipe, and it tastes delicious, but for some reason when I put it in my ice cream maker it wouldn’t freeze up. I put in my ice cream maker bowl thing a few days ago so it was definitely solid. Any ideas on why this may have happened? It seemed like it was getting close but then turned back into a liquid
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
Hi Amanda, it sounds like an ice cream maker issue for sure. How old is the maker? Sometimes the bowl doesn’t freeze up all the way and if after 30 minutes, it hasn’t started to become ice cream, it might not be cold enough or it could be an issue with the bowl unfortunately. You could also just mix it by hand every 30 minutes in the freezer if you have the maker issues.