This Cookies and Cream Ice Cream is a decadent and rich vanilla based ice cream filled with chocolate cookies and cream sandwiches sprinkled throughout.
Back in the day on hot days in Mississippi, my Big Mama would pull out an old salt rock ice cream maker and fill it with ice. She made a beautifully silky custard over the stove top, sweetened it to taste, allowed it to cool, poured it into the maker, and cranked it until a lovely soft serve texture of ice cream began to develop. This recipe is inspired by her amazing ice creams I enjoyed growing up.
Perks and Highlights of the Best Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Eggs & Egg Yolks: They bring the richness and smooth texture to your ice cream. The yolks, in particular, are the secret agents of creaminess!
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetness is key in any dessert, and this sugar is here to bring it!
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This is where your ice cream gets its luxurious, velvety texture.
- Half and Half: A little lighter than the heavy cream, but still bringing all the richness.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: It enhances all the flavors and adds that sweet, aromatic touch.
- Cookies and Cream Sandwich Cookies: Crush them, mix them, and let them steal the show with their crunchy, chocolaty goodness.
How to Make Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Start with the Eggs: In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the eggs and egg yolks until well combined.
- Sweeten: Whisk in the sugar until the mixture is smooth and the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Heat the Dairy: In a large pot, heat the heavy cream and half and half just until boiling, then remove from heat.
- Temper the Eggs: To avoid scrambled eggs in your ice cream, slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to slowly add the rest, keeping that whisk moving!
- Add Flavor: Stir in the vanilla extract to give your ice cream that classic, sweet aroma and flavor.
- Chill Out: Give the mixture a time-out in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, ensuring it’s completely chilled.
- Churn: Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to transform it into ice cream bliss.
- Cookie Time: When your ice cream is almost ready, add in the crushed cookies and let them mix in during the last 2-3 minutes of churning.
- Freeze: If you’re not serving immediately, store your homemade delight in the freezer.
How to Store
To store, transfer your cookies and cream ice cream to an airtight container and pop it straight into the freezer. For optimal storage, press a piece of parchment paper directly onto the surface of the ice cream before sealing the container, to keep it ultra-smooth and ward off any ice crystals.
It will stay fresh for up to two months in the freezer.
Favorite Ice Cream Recipes to Try
Here are some more tremendous Grandbaby Cakes homemade ice cream recipes:
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- No Churn Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Oreo Red Velvet Ice Cream
- Mocha Fudge Swirl Ice Cream
Cookies And Cream Ice Cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 1/2 cups Cookies and Cream Sandwich Cookies, crushed based on preference
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn’t scramble.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once almost finished, pour crushed cookies and allow to mix in during last 2-3 minutes of churning.
- Store in freezer while not serving.