My dad and I have always had a special bond. He is my hero, what can I say? More than anyone else, I have always tried to make him proud of me. He believes in my dreams just as much as I do. Till this day, whenever I visit his office, I see my kindergarten and grade school art plastered all over the walls.
Since Father’s Day is just around the corner, I wanted to make a dessert that was a tribute to my dad. If there is any dessert my dad loves, it’s key lime pie. Whenever we visit one of his favorite restaurants, Joe’s Stone Crab, we always order the key lime pie for dessert. I started making the pie for him a few years ago, and it became a staple on family holidays and even his birthday. Last year, I made a key lime cheesecake for his birthday and this year, I wanted to push the envelope a bit with a key lime pie ice cream with mango swirl.
This isn’t a standard key lime ice cream or even lime ice cream, this is key lime pie ice cream and its sooooo good. My dad is a big Blue Bell fanatic but I know he would think this ice cream was even better. The base is just like a key lime pie which is sweetened with condensed milk and flavored with key lime juice and lime zest. I added a mango swirl of puree and graham cracker crust crumbs which took this way over the top. I adored it and was plotting when the next occasion would be that I could make it for (I need help and need to see someone for it!).
So without further ado, I just want to say Happy Father’s Day to the best daddy in the world, my hero, the guy who has forever made me feel safe, showed me the value of hard work and believes in my dreams. Love you daddy!
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups regular milk I used coconut milk but any milk will do
- 1 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh diced mango
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar depending on how ripe the mango is
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the Ice Cream Base, Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, regular milk, key lime juice, and lime zest..
- Place mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Next pour mixture into ice cream machine and churn according to machine's instructions.
- While ice cream churns, puree mango, granulated sugar and water together until well blended and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar and melted butter until well combined.
- Once ice cream is finished churning, alternately scoop ice cream base, then graham cracker crumbs, ice cream again and finally mango swirl into container until all ingredients are in the container.
- Freeze for at least 4-5 hours and then serve.