Just last week I celebrated my 39th birthday and my daddy was right by my side, ready to give me all the bear hugs I could ask for. Since Father’s Day is just around the corner, I wanted to create a recipe that would serve as tribute to my dad. Whenever we visit my dad’s favorite restaurant, Joe’s Stone Crab, he always orders their key lime pie for dessert. His love for tart, citrusy slices of custard pie is undeniable.
I developed my own Key Lime Pie recipe a few years ago and it became a staple on family holidays, celebrations and even daddy’s birthday! This year, I’m pushing the envelope and creating something new and oh so exciting. This ain’t your mama’s key lime pie but instead, a Key Lime Pie Ice Cream with a Mango Swirl. Refreshing, tangy and fruity this ice cream is destined to be a Summer hit!
HOW TO MAKE MANGO SWIRL KEY LIME PIE ICE CREAM
Being a good ‘ole Southern man, my father is a huge Blue Bell fanatic; he swears by their ice cream products. But, I know as obsessed as he is, I’m sure he will think this ice cream is even better. You will too!
Let’s give it a try, shall we? These are today’s ingredient:
- Key Lime Juice – key limes offer juice with a higher acidity and a distinct sweetness. By using fresh squeezes of distinctive lime flavor we perfectly imitate a key lime pie.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – rich and sweet, condensed milk is what will create a smooth, flavorful custard.
- Regular Milk – if you’re looking for a creamier base, I would suggest using a full-fat milk. I used coconut milk for the added tropical nuttiness and the reduced fat.
- Granulated Sugar – added sugar is necessary to balance out the heavy tartness from the lime juice.
- Diced Mango – mangoes are quite sweet when properly ripe; their natural sugar pairs well with citrus.
- Melted Butter – I wanted the crumbs to be buttery and crisp, just like that of a pie. Butter does the trick!
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – graham crackers offer notes of honey and vanilla while also creating a textural contrast.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
Once churned and ready, it’s important to transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. A tightly sealed container will keep the ice cream fresh and free from freezer burn. This SUMO container is inexpensive and great for fitting large batches in minimal space. If you’re looking for a more traditional pint look, these TOVOLO mini tubs are a great choice!
If you don’t have access to a proper ice cream container, no worries! Simply use a heavy-duty, freezer-safe container of your choice.
GRANDBABY CAKES’ BEST CREAMIEST CREATIONS
I’d like to end today’s post by wishing a Happy Father’s Day to the best daddy in the world. Thank you for being my hero, for continuously making me feel safe and for showing me the value of hard work. I love you dad!
If you’ve enjoyed a scoop or two of this icy treat and are looking for more, try out another one of my absolute favorite ice cream recipes:
- NO-CHURN BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
- MOCHA FUDGE SWIRL ICE CREAM
- GIRL SCOUT COOKIES THIN MINT ICE CREAM CAKE
- BERRY RIPPLE ICE CREAM CAKE
So without further ado, I just want to say Happy Father’s Day to the best daddy in the world. He is my hero, the guy who has forever made me feel safe, showed me the value of hard work and believes in my dreams. Love you daddy!
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Recipe with Mango Swirl
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups regular milk I used coconut milk but any milk will do
- 1 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh diced mango
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar depending on how ripe the mango is
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the Ice Cream Base, Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, regular milk, key lime juice, and lime zest..
- Place mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Next pour mixture into ice cream machine and churn according to machine's instructions.
- While ice cream churns, puree mango, granulated sugar and water together until well blended and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar and melted butter until well combined.
- Once ice cream is finished churning, alternately scoop ice cream base, then graham cracker crumbs, ice cream again and finally mango swirl into container until all ingredients are in the container.
- Freeze for at least 4-5 hours and then serve.