The BEST Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
I received no measurements but I am pretty used to that. Big Mama cooks and bakes through instinct and has perfected that art. I, however, am a bit more calculated with my process in the kitchen. I am creative and zany with my ideas but just need a bit more structure.
Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Recipe Ingredients
So I worked on this vanilla ice cream recipe and tried figuring out ratios that would work. And I think I came pretty close. Here are the ingredients that make this recipe super special:
- Egg Yolks and Eggs
- Heavy Cream
- Half and Half
- Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Paste
You will notice the large amount of eggs and egg yolks are in this recipe. It makes the custard incredibly scoopable when placed in the freezer for long periods of time. It also makes the custard super indulgent when combined with granulated sugar.
The creaminess of the recipe definitely comes from the addition of both heavy cream and half and half. It makes the custard so rich.
To really punch up the vanilla flavor, I added vanilla bean paste to the original vanilla ice cream recipe to really punch up the vanilla flavor in addition to the vanilla extract. Vanilla extract can sometimes be subtle but the vanilla paste conveniently adds flecks throughout without having to scrape vanilla beans. I love see the flecks of vanilla bean throughout the ice cream, too.
Finally, Big Mama added flour to her vanilla ice cream recipe. She added just a bit to thicken it. It ended up being something super genius that I’ve never seen before.
The only thing that was missing from this vanilla ice cream was Big Mama’s love so I added a heaping tablespoon of that for good measure.
How to Make Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
This recipe begins with developing a warm custard over the stove. If you have never tried a custard based ice cream, you will love it. While it takes a bit more time, the results are incredibly creamy and silky.
Adding a hot milk mixture to eggs can be difficult so you must make sure you temper!
Tip 1: You will drip in the hot milk mixture in slow increments and whisk vigorously. You must do this so that the eggs don’t scramble.
After the custard is ready, you will need to cool it. This is a step that most people miss. I have seen all types of mistakes.
Tip 2: Cool Your Custard Completely!
It will need to be completely cold in order to go into your ice cream maker and freeze correctly. If not, you will be making ice cream soup.
This ice cream is definitely one of my favorites. The flavors are completely pure. If you love this one, you will absolutely love my strawberry ice cream as well since it is a variation of this. My Berry Ripple Ice Cream is similar too with just a punch of berry flavor.
What To Serve with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- There is nothing like a piece of my Southern Peach Cobbler Recipe along with a scoop of this.
- Speaking of peaches, this Caramel Peach Dump Cake is amazing with this ice cream too.
- If you love chocolate and vanilla, this coca cola cake is incredible!
- A scoop of this over warm my Pineapple Upside Down Cake is also a good move.
- And of course there is nothing like ice cream and pound cake. My cream cheese pound cake is definitely the one to make.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- Ice Cream Maker Machine
- 3 large large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vanilla paste
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons one at a time of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk very quickly to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Lastly add in flour and stir to combine.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and stir in vanilla extract and vanilla paste.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and freeze.