Sensational homemade strawberry ice cream enhanced with the richness of heavy cream and speckled with spring berries throughout.
Happy Early Mother’s Day to all the mommies, grandmommies, Godmommies, aunts, and acting mommies out there! There is nothing like a mother. Nothing! So I thought I would celebrate with a little homemade strawberry ice cream.
Mother’s Day should really be celebrated everyday year round because no one sacrifices as much as a mother. As an adult, it becomes more and more apparent to me that my childhood was really a special one. Conversations with friends about childhood travels and extracurricular activities always make this more apparent. I never wished for anything because my parents provided it. Anything I needed or even wanted was something my mom went out of her way to give.
STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
From private Catholic schooling and several dance classes a week to cheerleading competitions, acting in plays, and even auditioning for commercials and advertisements, my mom made sure I was front and center in all of it. In the summertime after my extracurriculars, my mom would treat me to my favorite frozen dessert: strawberry ice cream! During college, my mom would come visit and stay in my apartment, and she actually became the mom to all of my roommates. They loved to tell her about their boyfriend and dating woos and all the funny incidences happening on campus. I realized throughout my life that many of my friends adopted my mom as their own. That’s because she is so awesome.
STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM RECIPE
Remembering those summers of my youth with my mom inspired this strawberry ice cream recipe. My mom would take me to the ice cream parlor for strawberry ice cream. Now that I’m a mom, instead of taking my daughter to the ice cream parlor, I want to pass down my strawberry ice cream recipe to her. She can then pass it down to my granddaughter and so on. Besides, homemade strawberry ice cream tastes way better than anything I’ve ever had at an ice cream parlor.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 pound strawberries pureed with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Red food coloring if desired
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Stir in strawberry puree, vanilla extract, and food coloring, if using.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and freeze.
- Store in freezer while not serving.
Want more Mother’s Day Inspiration? Check out my Pinterest Board HERE: