These decadent, moist and oh so chocolatey Mississippi Mud Brownies get even more love with the addition of marshmallows, chocolate frosting and pecans!
My people are from Mississippi. In fact, my big mama and big daddy are still in Winona, MS, and they have absolutely no plans on ever leaving. There is something so special about visiting Mississippi for me. My childhood memories of the wide open country come flooding back to me. Trips up the street to the Piggly Wiggly for grits and flour made me feel safe. These brownies are an amazing ode to those times I visited and my Mississippi roots.
This recipe comes from my friend Elizabeth Heiskell, also a Today Show contributor, and her recently published cookbook “What Can I Bring? Southern Food for Any Occasion Life Serves Up”.
Perks and Highlights of the Best Mississippi Mud Brownies
Cuisine Inspiration: Southern American
Primary Cooking Method: Baking
Dietary Info: Vegetarian
Key Flavor: Decadently Chocolate
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Chocolate Galore: With a chocolate brownie base and a rich chocolate frosting, this dessert is a chocoholic’s dream come true.
- Southern Charm: The recipe oozes Southern charm and hospitality
- Perfect for Parties: With its impressive layers and decadent taste, Mississippi Mud Brownies are a crowd-pleaser, ideal for gatherings and celebrations.
- Chopped Unsweetened Chocolate: We’re going all-in with a rich and robust chocolate flavor.
- Butter: It adds that rich melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
- Granulated Sugar: This balances out the rich chocolate.
- Large Eggs: They’re like the glue holding our brownie ingredients.
- All-Purpose Flour: The foundation of our brownie building, giving it structure.
- Toasted Pecans: These bring a nutty crunch and an extra layer of flavor.
- Miniature Marshmallows: These pillows of sweetness melt into a gooey layer of perfection.
- Butter: Adds our creaminess
- Milk: Smooths it all out
- Cocoa: Bringing in that chocolatey depth
- Powdered Sugar: It’s sweet, it’s smooth, and it’s here to make that frosting utterly irresistible.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds a subtle complexity to the mix.
How to Make Mississippi Mud Brownies
Prepare the Brownies:
- Heat: Get that oven cranked up to a cozy 350 F.
- Melt and Mix: In a spacious microwave-safe bowl, give the chocolate and butter a good nuke until they’re happily melted together. Stir every 30 seconds to keep things smooth.
- Whisk: Time for sugar and eggs to join the party, whisk them in until they’re fully part of the gang.
- Flour: Gently fold in the flour until it’s just right.
- Spread: Pour that gorgeous batter into a greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish, ready for action.
- Bake and Sprinkle: Let it bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick plays the part of the tester and comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Straight out of the oven, hit it up with those toasted pecans and mini marshmallows.
Whip Up the Chocolate Frosting:
- Butter, Milk, and Cocoa Trio: In a large saucepan, cook these three amigos over a medium flame, stirring non-stop until the butter has completely melted.
- Sweet and Smooth: Off the heat, grab your electric mixer and beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until everything’s looking smooth and luscious.
- Pour and Spread: Unleash that chocolatey goodness over the pecans and marshmallows, spreading it all the way to the edges.
- Cool and Cut: Give it an hour on a wire rack to chill out, then cut into squares and dive in!
How to Store
Once they’ve cooled down and been cut into squares, you can keep them fresh at room temperature for up to three days. Just make sure to place them in an airtight container or cover them snugly with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out. They last longer in the fridge for about a week. Just bring them back to room temperature before serving, or give them a quick zap in the microwave if you can’t wait and want a gooey, warm treat!
Favorite Mississipi Recipes to Try
- Mississippi Mud Cookies
- Mississippi Mud Pie
Mississippi Mud Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 6 ounces butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 4 ¼ ounces
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 ounces butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare the brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Microwave the chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in the sugar and eggs until well blended. Stir in the flour. Spread the batter into a greased 13- x 9- inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Sprinkle the warm brownies with the toasted pecans and marshmallows.
Prepare the Chocolate Frosting:
- Cook the butter, milk and cocoa over medium in a large saucepan, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until the butter melts. Remove from the heat, and beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Pour over the pecans and marshmallows; spread to edges. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cut into squares.