Mississippi Mud Brownies – Decadent, moist and oh so chocolatey brownies get even more love with the addition of marshmallows, chocolate frosting and pecans! If you love these, try my Fudgy Chewy Brownies and Caramel Pretzel Brownies too!
My people are from Mississippi. In fact, my big mama and big daddy are still in Winona, MS, and they have absolutely no plans on ever leaving. There is something so special about visiting Mississippi for me. My childhood memories of the wide open country come flooding back to me. Trips up the street to the Piggly Wiggly for grits and flour made me feel safe. Fresh biscuits, rice, fried chicken and the pie from down there always brings me back to my roots. I can’t think of a better place I feel safe.
Mississippi food is food from the heart. That’s why I was so excited when my dear friend Elizabeth Heiskell, also a Today Show contributor, recently published her first cookbook “What Can I Bring? Southern Food for Any Occasion Life Serves Up”. Elizabeth lives in Mississippi and has that beautiful and warm spirit I have come to know and love of my Mississippi kinfolk.
The cookbook has so many wonderful recipes that are perfect for entertaining or bringing to anyone’s home when they have you over. That is the southern way. There is a reason why they call it southern hospitality. No one knows how to entertain or show manners like those from the south or those raised by Southern folks.
I selected these wonderful Mississippi Mud Brownies because one, its February so you definitely need some chocolate in your life. Love yourself boos! And two, nothing describes love for Mississippi like Mississippi Mud. These brownies are incredibly decadent, rich and unreal. If you are on a diet, proceed with caution. But if not, dig right on in!
Mississippi Mud Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 6 ounces butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 4 ¼ ounces
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 ounces butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare the brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Microwave the chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in the sugar and eggs until well blended. Stir in the flour. Spread the batter into a greased 13- x 9- inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Sprinkle the warm brownies with the toasted pecans and marshmallows.
Prepare the Chocolate Frosting:
- Cook the butter, milk and cocoa over medium in a large saucepan, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until the butter melts. Remove from the heat, and beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Pour over the pecans and marshmallows; spread to edges. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cut into squares.