What do you say we enjoy these melt-in-your-mouth Homemade Cosmic Brownies together? Made with my classic fudge brownie recipe, a rich chocolate frosting, and lots of rainbow coated candies, these nostalgically delicious brownies are perfect for parents and kiddos alike! If you love these, you will also love these Salted Caramel Popcorn Brownies, Caramel Pretzel Brownies and Mississippi Mud Brownies.
I don’t know about y’all but I grew up on Little Debbie’s snacks. Swiss Rolls, Oatmeal Crème Pies, Zebra Cakes, you name it and I ate it! I absolutely loved these sweet treats and, every now and then, I still do.
Although I don’t pick them up off the shelf at the grocery store much anymore, I have figured out how to recreate a few of the treats in my own kitchen!
Cosmic Brownies are one of my absolute favorite Little Debbie desserts and they’re so easily made at home! All you need is an incredible fudge brownie recipe (I got you covered), a couple bars of chocolate, and some colorful candies. Next thing you know you’ve got a batch of the best chewy, chocolatey brownies ever!
What Are Cosmic Brownies?
They are intergalactical-inspired fudge brownies topped with a thick chocolate frosting and rainbow candy coated sprinkles. Invented in September 1999, Little Debbie’s out-of-this-world treat was created with the (then) booming Cosmic Bowling trend in mind. Since then, these double chocolate brownies have become one of the brand’s most well-recognized and loved products!
The majority of the ingredients being used today are pantry-staple items. You won’t need to run to the store or go hunting for some rare item. We’re keeping real simple here y’all!
Here’s what you’ll need to set out:
- UNSALTED BUTTER- salted butter is okay too! Just omit the added salt if you’re going to swap it.
- EGGS- you’ll need to use room temperature eggs to get that perfectly chewy texture. If you forgot to set them out, sit the eggs in warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR- to improve texture, use the spoon and level method to measure the flour then sift it into the rest of the ingredients.
- COCOA POWDER- the quality of your cocoa powder will heavily determine flavor. Ghirardelli is my favorite grocery-store brand!
- SEMISWEET + MILK CHOCOLATE- to strike the perfect balance of sweetness, I like to mix two different chocolates. Milk provides that silky-smooth, rich taste. Semisweet stabilizes the texture and offers a fuller bodied chocolate flavor.
- HEAVY CREAM- this is the creamy base for our fudge topping.
- RAINBOW CHOCOLATE CHIP SPRINKLES- those colorful, crisp candies add crunchy texture and a fun look!
How To Make Cosmic Brownies
These Cosmic Brownies start with my chewy fudge brownie recipe which is arguably the best brownie out there. They’re made in one bowl and only use the simplest of ingredients!
We start by adding the melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar to a medium bowl and mixing on medium speed with a hand or stand mixer.
For the eggs, you add them one at a time and mix super well! Then we add in our oil and vanilla.
Finally, we work on those dry ingredients. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda if using and salt in a bowl.
Reduce speed of mixer. In intervals, add flour mixture to wet mixture until all ingredients are incorporated.
Each bite melts in your mouth and sends your taste buds soaring. Add some fudge frosting and some rainbow chocolate chips to the top and those same buds are headed all the way to space!
I recommend reading through the recipe and setting out your ingredients before starting. The better organized you are, the quicker things go. If you need a little extra help or just want me along for the ride, check out my step-by-step video.
Tips For Chocolate Frosted Brownies
- Don’t skip the parchment paper lining! It’s very helpful in lifting out the brownies from the pan and reducing cleanup.
- Wait for the brownies to cool completely. If you pour the chocolate on while the brownies are still hot it’ll run everywhere and take forever to set (if it does).
- It’s best to use chocolate bars for the fudge topping rather than chocolate chips. The chips usually contain stabilizers that prevent them from properly melting. Chocolate bars produce the smoothest, yummiest result.
- The candy coated chocolate pieces you find on top of cosmic brownies can be purchased online, at some grocery stores, or at craft stores. If you can’t find them, use regular mini chocolate chips, m&ms, or sprinkles!
How To Store Them
Although you could store these brownies at room temperature, it’s best to keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm temperatures won’t allow the frosting to remain cool and stable, leaving you with a melted, goopy mess.
Let the brownies sit at room temperature for 10 minutes after removing them from the fridge.
Can You Freeze Them?
Yes! These Cosmic Brownies are a perfect candidate for freezing after they’ve been cut. Simply wrap each individual brownie with plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe zip top bag. Your frozen brownies will keep for up to 2 months, so be sure to label the bag with the date! Thaw the brownies at room temperature when you’re ready to eat them.
My Best Brownie Recipes
A plate of brownies goes way too quickly in my house, so I keep a handful of recipes on deck for whenever the craving hits!
After you’ve tried these, try out a few more of our favorite fudgy treats:
For the Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp neutral oil like a vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda optional
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
- 4 oz milk chocolate chopped
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup rainbow chocolate chip sprinkles
For the Fudge Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 nonstick baking pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving at least 2 inches of paper hanging over the sides.
- In a medium sized bowl, add melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar and mix with your hand mixer on medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition to incorporate. Mix well! (see notes below)
- Mix in oil and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda if using and salt in a bowl. Reduce the speed of the mixer.
- In intervals, add flour mixture to wet mixture until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add brownie batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out just barely clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for about an hour, or until as close to room temperature as possible.
For the Frosting
- Place the heavy cream in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments until cream is very hot (not boiling). Stir in between increments.
- Add the chopped chocolates to the cream. Let sit for a minute, then whisk until a smooth chocolate mixture forms. Stir in the butter until melted.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the brownies. Use a flat spatula to spread the chocolate into an even layer. Cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the rainbow chocolate chips on top.
- Cover and chill the brownies until set, about 1 hour. Use the parchment to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into squares and serve.