Peppermint French Silk Pie – A delicious French silk pie with a Christmas twist. Peppermint
was added to this traditional chocolate pie making it the best French silk pie recipe ever!
PEPPERMINT FRENCH SILK PIE
When I hit 30 years old a few years ago, chocolate became a weekly essential to ensure good manners and overall polite behavior. I am 90% positive and sweet in social situations and chocolate makes up the other 10% when necessary. My happiness percentage increases to about 95% during the Christmas season, but I still need my chocolate to make up the 5% difference. A slice of this Peppermint French Silk Pie each day definitely put a smile on my face and kind words in my mouth.
WHAT IS FRENCH SILK PIE MADE OF?
Start with my perfect pie crust for this recipe. The pie filling for French silk pie is chocolate mousse, which is normally topped with whipped cream.
WHY IS IT CALLED FRENCH SILK PIE?
The pie gets its name from the texture of the chocolate mousse. The texture was considered silky smooth. That’s why this pie received this name.
WHAT MAKES THIS FRENCH SILK PIE SO GREAT
The magic of this peppermint French silk pie recipe is not just in the chocolate. It has a flaky and buttery crust, a smooth chocolate mousse filling spiked with peppermint extract and a lovely topping of fresh whipped cream garnished with crushed peppermint.
If you like this Peppermint French Silk Pie, you’ll definitely love some of my other pie
- BROWN SUGAR CHESS PIE
- CANDY BAR FUDGE PIE
- PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE PIE
- SWEET POTATO CHESS PIE RECIPE
- VANILLA BUTTERMILK PIE RECIPE
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!*
Peppermint French Silk Pie
Peppermint French Silk Pie - A delicious French silk pie with a Christmas twist. Peppermint was added to this traditional chocolate pie making it the best French silk pie recipe ever!Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
For the Pie Pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter cut up, or shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the Peppermint French Silk Pie:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces 1 cup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 larg egg yolks lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons creme de cacao or whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Garnish: Whipped cream and peppermint pieces
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired.
For the Peppermint French Silk Pie:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes; remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy saucepan combine whipping cream, semisweet chocolate pieces, sugar, and butter. Cook and stir over low heat about 10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and begins to bubble. Remove from heat. (Mixture might appear slightly curdled.) Stir in creme de cacao or whipping cream and peppermint extract.
- Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water and let stand about 20 minutes or until mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread chocolate mixture in pastry shell. Cover and chill for 5 to 24 hours. To serve, top with whipped cream.
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 282mg | Potassium: 172mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1005IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2.6mg