This PERFECT Southern Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is filled with tender baked sweet potato, indulgent fall flavors and baking spices in a flaky buttery crust. This is the South’s favorite pie, and it is absolutely perfect for the holiday season or Sunday supper dessert. If you love other Southern pies like Buttermilk Pie or Southern Peach Cobbler, you will love this! Also try my Sweet Potato Chess Pie for a nice twist!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE (SOUL FOOD)
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE
HOW DO YOU MAKE A SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE?
EASY SWEET POTATO PIE CRUST
“BLACK FOLKS” SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE FILLING
- Sweet Potatoes (You can either boil these on stovetop or you can bake them until the insides are completely tender)
- Butter (and lots of it!)
- Corn syrup
- Eggs (creates stability for the pie, make sure they are room temperature)
- Spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and vanilla!)
Southern Sweet Potato Pie Variations
If you love sweet potato, you will adore my Sweet Potato Casserole, Sweet Potato Chess Pie recipe or my Sweet Potato Cheesecake recipe or even my Sweet Potato Pound Cake recipe or Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- whipped cream for garnish
- Wash the whole sweet potatoes and drain them.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. (A fork should pierce the potatoes easily but they should not fall apart.) When the potatoes are done, drain and cool them.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare the pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and mash them in a large bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add the melted butter, corn syrup, and sugar. Beat on medium speed. Discard the long, stringy fibers that collect around the electric beaters as you beat the filling. In the end, you want a smooth, string-free filling.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Pour in the buttermilk. Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat until the filling is smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream.