Gooey Butter Cake has taken the baking world by storm so I inevitably wanted to go into this very chartered ground and come out with my own twist: Raspberry Gooey Butter Cookies. I know that sounds like a pretty hefty exaggeration but it is kinda true. When Paula Deen brought real attention to this cake a few years back, everyone found out about it. But I knew about gooey butter cake decades ago. To my family, it is just called gooey gooey cake. And the original recipe came from my Aunt Bev who is famous for the caramel in my most popular recipe: Real Deal Caramel Cake.
Aunt Bev lives in St. Louis and has made the gooey gooey cake for as long as I can remember. She gave the recipe to my mom when my brother and I were young. Then my mom made it a go-to recipe of her own. I bring all of this up because I find it so strange how people decide who we associate something with. I appreciate Paula Deen for all she is and does but this cake will always belong to my Aunt Bev. So these fun Valentine’s Day raspberry gooey butter cookies are a tribute to her who I deem the true founder of Gooey Gooey Cake.[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:22]
Raspberry Gooey Butter Cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 1 block
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 ounces raspberry gelatin 1 box
- OPTIONAL 1-2 drops red or pink food coloring
- Add cream cheese and butter to the bowl of your mixer and cream until smooth.
- Next turn mixer to medium and add in one egg until batter is smooth.
- Then turn your mixer to a low speed and add in gelatin, cake mix and food coloring until everything is well combined and thick.
- Remove finished cookie dough from the mixer and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- While dough chills, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and roll into small balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with powdered sugar and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.