These Apple Pie Bars feature apple slices and a unique twist of mixed berries that are sandwiched between a buttery crumble and crust! It’s a perfect treat for the end of summer or the beginning of fall.
Easy as 1, 2, 3 – layers that is!
I love a good sandwich – even more so when we’re talking about desserts! Yes I know this isn’t exactly a “sandwich” but when we think about the ease and layers of this recipe, it certainly fits the bill! The crust and crumb topping are one in the same.
This Apple Pie Bar is really an amazing recipe because it has all the enjoyable flavors of fall but with a bit of end of summer love built in. I add some mixed berries just to jazz it up.
Here are the vital ingredients you need to build this recipe:
- All purpose flour
- Ground Almonds (you can also omit this if you have allergies. Just add more flour)
- Apple Slices
- Mixed Berries
- Lemon (the acid is great for berries and apples)
How to Make Apple Pie Bars with Mixed Berries
Summer time is of course perfect for picking fresh berries. But after everyone has had their fill of the fresh ones, it’s helpful to have a few good recipes for what to do with the leftover berries.
This recipe doesn’t require those super fresh ones. You can easily use the berries that have been slightly squished and not as pretty to the eye.
First we start with a pie crust mixture that is both a crumble and also the bottom crust.
We will start by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients to develop this mixture.
Then we move on to the berry apple mixture. We literally just toss everything together to combine.
Likewise, you can use frozen berries if fresh ones aren’t available. Just make sure to thaw and drain the berries beforehand and then proceed as normal.
When using fresh berries and apples, mix the ingredients for the berry filling in a bowl. No need to cook. Then pour over the crust and top with the crumb coating before baking.
We then do a nice layering.
You can add a final layer of pie crust and then it is time to bake.
What berries make mixed berries?
For this recipe you can use strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or a mix!
Any mixed berries you find at the store, such as frozen ones, typically include all four of the ones mentioned above. If you only have one of these fresh on hand, just use what you have!
What apples are best for baking?
Use apples such as granny smith or pink ladies that hold up well when cooked. You want the apples to still retain their shape and not turn to apple sauce.
Use cinnamon and nutmeg to emulate those apple pie flavors. Or if you have apple pie spice on hand, you can use about ½ teaspoon of that instead. More info on the best apples to use can be found here.
Can this recipe be doubled?
You bet! Double the recipe but use a 9×13 baking dish for best results.
What to serve with them?
You can serve this as a breakfast, snack, or dessert! Served as dessert I like to top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
These bars get better with age! Feel free to make these the day before, giving them ample time to cool and clean cuts for sharing. If pulling these from the freezer, let thaw overnight on the counter.
How to Store Apple Pie Bars
Once they have cooled completely, wrap them airtight and store in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen for a couple months.
Favorite Bar Recipes
Apple Pie Bars
For the Crumble and Crust
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or 1/3 cup honey (start at 1/4 cup and add until it gets crumbly)
- 1/4 cup ground almonds or you can use more flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold water
For the Apple Filling
- 1 1/2 cups fresh apple slices
- 1 cup fresh berries can be strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, raspberries or even a mix
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Crumble and Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 8×8-inch baking pan with the non-stick coating of your choice.
- For the crumb and crust, whisk together flour, sugar or honey, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Next, cut in the cold butter using two forks or a pastry cutter then slowly mix in the egg yolk and cold water (if you using honey instead of sugar, add in here as well). Don't worry if the dough seems really crumbly. It should be!
- Next take half of the crumble mixture and press into the prepared pan. The rest should be saved for the top of the bars.
For the Apple Filling
- Stir together apple slices, berries, lemon juice, flour, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until combined.
- To assemble, evenly add apple filling to the top of the crust.
- Next sprinkle the remaining crumble over the top of the apple filling.
- Bake for 30-38 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Cool bars to room temperature then cut and serve.