Turtle Cookies – the chocolate, caramel and pecan flavor of turtles placed in cookie form. If you love these, you will also love these Turtle Candies.
One of my favorite candies to eat growing up was a turtle. Aren’t they just so fun and delicious to eat? I just adored the mix of chocolate, caramel and pecans and would eat these more than anything else. When I recently purchased some Diamond of California pecans, I knew I wanted to make a turtle inspired treat and these turtle cookies definitely fit the bill. Turtles always exist in my baking fantasies. They are just the perfect combination of all sweet and salty flavors in one treat. I can’t think of many things better.
The chocolate cookie base is perfectly soft and flavorful. I think they are even more fun to make them with a friend or your kids. They can have some fun in the kitchen and create new memories with you.
Caution: You might find yourself eating a few too many of these turtle cookies if you stick around the pan while they are cooling. Just a fair warning. Regardless of whether you overindulge or not, they are the perfect way to reminisce about beautiful memories from the past.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 package wrapped caramel candies
- 1 package pecans
- chocolate sauce warmed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and both sugars to the bowl and cream until nice and fluffy.
- Next add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well incorporated.
- While mixture is creaming, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a separate bowl.
- Lastly, add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes to cool. It will help it become easier to work with.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Next roll a medium large scoop of dough into a ball and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place 1 unwrapped caramel candy in the center of each cookie ball and press down to flatten. Press 3-4 pecans on the bottoms of the cookie balls to resemble a turtle shape.
- Bake the cookies for for 10-12 minutes until they are nice and browned and the caramel has melted through.
- Next drizzle chocolate sauce over cookies and serve.