Easy and delicious blueberry crumble bars are perfect for Spring brunches and afternoon treats.
I’m going through a bit of a slump. I can tell you because I’m always honest with you. I trust you. We have been in a serious relationship for 2 1/2 years, and I know you will always be my shoulder.
Before you get too worried, my slump is more of a me being lazy thing. I haven’t had much energy or creativity flowing through me. I think its because I am coming out of the hugely creative process of writing my first book. It took a lot out of me, which is a good thing because I am very proud of the book. I’m hoping my vacation to Mexico in the next couple of weeks leaves me absolutely refreshed and ready to go again. But for now, I am slowly going through a phase of wanting extreme convenience and ease in my life.
That’s why crumbles are my thang right now. I love the ease of making them and the comforting taste of them. I first fell in love with crumbles after tiring of making my family cobblers and pies. Sometimes the work involved in rolling out precious pie crusts and making sure temperatures are just right can be exhausting. I know the hard work always pays off but sometimes you just crave the same delicious taste with less work. That’s when crumbles entered the picture.
When I realized how easy they were to make, I started making them all the time with any fruit I had on hand starting with my strawberry crumbles which are a hit! The creation of crumble bars came later when I realized that I would love a crumble in hand form, something I could grab and eat whenever I had the craving. From peach crumble bars to now blueberry crumble bars, I have truly found one of the world’s most perfect and easy treats.
These blueberry crumble bars are all you will ever want and need in a dessert. Simple, quick to create, and absolutely buttery, sweet and juicy from the bountiful berries. The crumble gives that perfect amount of crunch when you bite into them. The versatility of this dessert will make you a believer, just like crumbles did for me.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 8×8-inch baking pan with the non-stick coating of your choice.
- For the crumble and crust, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Next, cut in the cold butter using two forks or a pastry cutter then slowly mix in the egg yolk and cold water. Don't worry if the dough seems really crumbly. It should be!
- Next take half of the crumble mixture and press into the prepared pan. The rest should be saved for the top of the bars.
- Stir together blueberries, lime juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until combined.
- To assemble, evenly add blueberry filling to top of crust.
- Next sprinkle the remaining crumble over the top of the blueberry filling.
- Bake for 30-38 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Cool bars to room temperature then cut and serve.