A Classic and Southern Fried Okra Recipe — the flavor is amazing, and the fresh okra comes out with a beautiful golden brown color with a perfectly crunchy texture! This is one of the best okra recipes around!!!
My Fried Okra Recipe Origins
This Southern fried okra recipe is dedicated to my daddy. I realize that a lot of the things I wanted to learn how to cook and bake came from figuring out what foods made him excited. For instance, he loves key lime pie, fried catfish and fried okra, and I learned how to make those things early on growing up. I seriously think I fried my first fillet of fish around 11 or 12 years old and got pretty darn good at it too. Each Friday, my dad got off early from work and would pick me up from school right on time. We would then go home and have a fish fry. Those definitely brought him back to his Mississippi southern roots.
How to Fry Okra
Frying okra could not be easier. I love to start with fresh okra however you can absolutely use frozen okra that has been thawed out. The most important thing to remember is to keep the texture intact. Most people don’t enjoy okra because of a somewhat slimy texture.
I told you all about the essentials of fish fries when I shared my Hush Puppy recipe earlier this year, and I loved sharing the country fun of frying up Green Tomatoes this summer too, but a fried okra recipe is just as iconic when it comes to southern and soul food cooking. Nowadays if you want a quick fix, you can go to Cracker Barrel or any neighborhood southern restaurant and order some but I love the homemade ones best. These fried okra are perfectly spiced to your liking, crispy and best eaten right out of the fryer. Fry these babies up and see what all my daddy’s fuss is all about!
- What is a chicken gizzard? This fried chicken gizzard recipe will make you the ultimate fan.
- This fried green tomatoes recipe is the best one on the web!
- I’m seriously in love with this chicken fried steak recipe! It is one of my most popular recipe. This Country fried steak is gold!
- If you love buttermilk fried chicken, this one will be your fave!
- I love some fried shrimp! This fried shrimp recipe is the best!
- Fried fish is the best, and this Fish and Chips recipe is amazing!
- Love fried catfish? This oven fried catfish will blow your mind.
- And for a side dish? These fried onion rings are incredible!
- If you love a good fish fry, I will teach you the best way to fry fish!
- 12 ounces fresh okra cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon paprika optional- go up to 1/4 teaspoon if you like spicy foods
- Oil for frying
- Season okra with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs to a separate small bowl.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, seasoned bread crumbs and paprika into another small bowl and whisk together.
- Begin by dipping okra into cornmeal and flour coating.
- Next add okra to eggs coating on all sides.
- Lastly dip back into the coating and set aside okra on baking sheet.
- Repeat dredging process until all okra is ready.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Fry okra until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.