Thick, rich and sweet, this Homemade Pizza Sauce is giving jarred sauce a run for their money! With only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes you can create a flavorful, perfectly spiced sauce the whole family will love! Use this sauce for my Neapolitan Pizza, Grilled Prosciutto Arugula Pizza and Pizza Rolls! Want more sauces? Try my Marinara Sauce or Spaghetti Sauce recipes!
Alright y’all, it’s time for some serious sauce talk. What kind of sauce? Pizza sauce, of course! Whether you like your pies Detroit-style or deep dish, the base of the dish remains the same: tender dough and rich sauce. And, let me tell y’all, a pizza can be loaded with the best toppings in the world but, if the base is wack, it doesn’t matter.
Today, I’m blessing your kitchens (and your stomachs) with my go-to pizza sauce recipe! Simple, fresh and delightfully light, this sauce holds its own against competing flavors. This homemade sauce can be used for pizzas, calzones, strombolis or even as a dipping sauce for garlic bread and mozzarella sticks. Sounds like a big win to me.
Get your apron y’all, we’re getting saucy tonight!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE
Made with only 5 ingredients, this pizza sauce is simple and super easy to make! After this, you’re never gonna go back to jarred sauce again.
Here’s what we’re working with:
- Crushed Tomatoes– tomatoes should be sweet with just the right amount of acidity. I find that the San Marzano variety (a type of plum tomato) is the best choice for this recipe. They can be a bit of a splurge at the market but the crisp, balanced flavor is so worth it.
- Granulated Sugar– sugar cuts acidity and makes for a more balanced result. Feel free to adjust the measurement to fit your personal preference!
- Italian Seasoning– a mixture of dried oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage and, sometimes, marjoram, this seasoning gives our sauce a herbaceous kick.
- Minced Garlic– garlic adds aroma and sweetness. I prefer minced garlic, but larger chunks can make for an exciting, pungent bite later on.
- Salt & Pepper– be sure to season as you go! Using kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper is a must.
STORING HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE
This recipe makes quite a bit of sauce, about 3 cups. Unless you’re making a whole lot of pizza tonight, you’re gonna have plenty leftover.
Refrigerate the sauce in an airtight container for up to a week. Alternatively, store the sauce in freezer-safe bags or containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: place the sauce in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, then put it on the stove over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes (depends if starting from the fridge or frozen) and, once slightly simmering, remove from heat. Cool before ladling onto dough.
GRANDBABY CAKES’ SAUCIEST RECIPES
Now that you’ve got all this tasty sauce, let’s talk recipes! From savory pies to cheesy nachos, Grandbaby Cakes has got it all. So, put that sassy sauce to work by tossing together some of my BEST pizza recipes.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes can
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar can go up to 3 tbsp if you like a sweet sauce
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper and stir together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring periodically.
- Using a food processor, pulse until the sauce is smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat again. Simmer until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Keep it warm to ladle over your pizza.