This Perfect Southern Spaghetti Sauce Recipe is a savory and rich thick spaghetti meat sauce filled with aromatics, spices and herbs ready to devour over pastas or in baked dishes! Serve this Italian Spaghetti Sauce with my Spaghetti and Meat Balls or Baked Spaghetti Recipe!
Disclosure: I partnered with Cascade for this post, but all opinions expressed here are my own. I am grateful for authentic partnerships like this.
An Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe!
Let me paint a picture for you. An organized kitchen, spotlessly clean with all of its gadgets in all the right places. Plates and bowls are gleaming as they sit in their cabinets, waiting to be used for delicious dinners. The oven is warm and emitting scents of buttery cakes and pies made from a family cookbook resting on the counter. Sounds perfect, doesn’t it? At one point this small dream of mine was a reality. For years, I came home to at least a moderately clean kitchen because I was lucky enough to have time in my daily life to maintain it. Boy oh boy, have the tables turned.
Since becoming a mother, my entire life as I’ve known it has turned upside down. My daughter Harmony is now the center of my universe: something I expected but didn’t fully grasp until it became reality.
So let’s be brutally honest here, the worst part of any kitchen is having to clean it. Cooking each night means tackling dirty dishes that pile high in the sink. But I’ve discovered something life-changing: Cascade pure Essentials Actionpacs Dishwasher Detergent. Cascade’s newest detergent is designed for your family in mind and delivers the consistent clean you expect from Cascade. It’s capability to power away stuck on food means I spend less time pre-washing dishes and more time getting in bedtime cuddles with my daughter. If that wasn’t enough, it’s formulated with 1/3 biobased ingredients. The detergent’s perfume is infused with essential oils and offers a light citrus scent. Not only are you cleaning up dishes but your kitchen is being filled with a lovely, light scent. I think I have found the ultimate mom weapon.
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce with Tomato Sauce
You’d truly be surprised how something as simple as being able to effectively wash your dishes can help make every day just a little easier and your kitchen a little less overwhelming. Because I don’t have to spend time scrubbing dishes I’m able to tackle another task in the kitchen or just take that bubble bath I find myself craving from time to time.
I challenge you to try it for yourself. To do that I’m supplying you with one more of my mom weapons: my weeknight Southern Spaghetti Sauce recipe. It’s a classic meaty red sauce, wonderfully seasoned and perfectly kid-friendly. Just ask Harmony that gobbles this up at least once a week!
Ingredients for Italian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
The key ingredients for this Italian Spaghetti Sauce recipe are the following:
- Two Types of meats (Sausage AND Ground Beef or Turkey)
- Green Peppers
- Tomato Sauce
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Red Wine
- Chicken Stock
- Italian Seasonings
Tips for Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
The ingredients above really create the most delicious and rich homemade spaghetti sauce filled with Southern flavor. Here are some additional tips for making this Southern Spaghetti sauce your very own:
- Try Different meats! – Try different meats like venison or even ground turkey and pepperoni and vary up the flavors.
- Make it Vegan! – Also you can make this vegetarian/vegan by replacing the meats with vegetables or even lentils and also replacing the chicken stock with a vegetable stock.
- Allow the Flavors to Simmer – Don’t rush the cooking process for this sauce. For flavors to truly develop, you must let them come together slowly. It is truly worth it!
Spaghetti sauce can be a nightmare to scrape off dinner plates, especially after it’s dried. But with the power of Cascade pure essentials it’s not even an issue. So to all my busy mothers out there wondering how they’ll fit in that evening yoga class or find time to watch that guilty pleasure show, let me offer a helping hand. It’s okay to make a simple spaghetti sauce so you can enjoy a little “me time”.
If You Love This Southern Spaghetti Sauce, Check these Recipes Out:
- CAJUN JAMBALAYA PASTA
- SAUSAGE STUFFED SHELLS
- SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH RAVIOLI
- CHICKEN STUFFED SHELLS
Southern Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef and turkey
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- seasoned salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cans crushed tomatoes 28 ounce can
- 1 can tomato sauce 29 ounce can
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Add olive oil to large pot over medium high heat on stove.
- Add ground beef, italian sausage, onion, green pepper and salt and pepper. Brown until cooked.
- Next add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine, chicken stock, italian seasoning, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Continue to simmer until sauce has thickened about 30-40 minutes then add to additional recipes or serve.