These are way better than Totino’s Pizza Rolls! My Homemade Pizza Rolls Recipe is filled with meat, cheese, pizza sauce and rolled in a perfect from scratch yeasted dough that are the pizza night upgrade you didn’t know you needed!
The Perks and Highlights of the Best Pizza Rolls Recipe
Cuisine Inspiration: Italian-American Fusion
Primary Cooking Method: Baking
Dietary Info: Indulgent and Meaty
Key Flavor: Savory, Cheesy and Meaty Goodness
Skill Level: Easy
- Make It Your Own: With a recipe as flexible as this, feel free to throw in your favorite toppings.
- Party Perfect: These bite-sized wonders are the ultimate crowd-pleaser, perfect for game day, movie night, or just because.
- Quick and Easy: Forget delivery! These homemade delights are ready in a snap.
- Kid-Friendly Fun: Get the whole family involved! Kids love helping to roll up these.
- Reheat and Repeat: Leftovers? These pizza rolls reheat like a dream.
- Napoli Inspired Pizza Dough: Grab my favorite recipe HERE. This dough is your blank canvas, ready to be rolled and stuffed with all the goodness.
- Pizza Sauce: I love this homemade one HERE. It is rich and zesty.
- Sausages: Choose your fav! Whether it’s spicy Italian or a milder version, get those sausages out of their casings, cook ‘em up, and crumble them into bite-sized perfection.
- Pepperoni: Slice ’em or leave ’em whole; either way.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese:Two cups of this gooey, melty delight to bring it all together.
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray: Give your rolls a little spritz before baking to achieve that golden, crispy perfection.
How To Make Pizza Rolls
These pizza rolls are fun to prepare, packed with flavor and fairly easy to make. If you’ve ever made pizza at home, you’ll find the process to be very similar. I used my favorite pizza dough, which was inspired by my trip to Italy (specifically Naples) that I seriously dream about everyday. But if necessary, a store-bought dough dough will work as well.
Start the process by cutting your dough into two equally-sized balls. Roll out each dough ball into large rectangles. Then, spread out your favorite sauce and get crazy with your toppings. Meat, cheese and veggies galore!
The same way you would with cinnamon rolls, roll the dough up and cut into smaller rolls. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top before placing them in a preheated oven.
By the end you’ll have better pizza rolls than Tostino’s could ever dream about!
How to Store
Storing Pizza Rolls:
- In the Fridge: Let the pizza rolls cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container. They can chill out in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- In the Freezer: For a longer shelf life, place the cooled pizza rolls in a single layer on a baking sheet to flash freeze them. Once they’re solid, transfer them to a zip-top bag or airtight container, and they’ll be good to go for up to 2 months.
Reheating Pizza Rolls:
- In the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the pizza rolls on a baking sheet and warm them up for about 5-10 minutes (a bit longer if they’re coming straight from the freezer) until they’re hot and crispy.
- In the Microwave: If you’re in a hurry, you can use the microwave. Just know they might not get as crispy. Heat them on high for 30-60 seconds or until they’re hot all the way through.
If You Love Pizza Rolls, You will Love These Other Game Day Foods
This recipe is perfect for football season or for fun appetizers at an upcoming party. Speaking of fun appetizers and football season, here are a few more great recipes for appetizers and game day foods:
Meaty Pizza Rolls
- 1 Napoli Inspired Pizza Dough recipe found HERE
- 1 cup
- 2 large sausages- removed from casing cooked and crumbled
- 20 pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Parsley for garnish
- Make Napoli Inspired Pizza Dough according to the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Next cut dough into two smaller balls.
- Roll each out to a large rectangle shape.
- Brush 1/2 cup of pizza sauce on each rectangle shaped dough.
- Add cooked sausage and pepperoni to each dough.
- Next, sprinkle cheese on each dough.
- Starting at the top of the long side of the rectangle, gently roll the pizza into a roll.
- Using a serated knife, cut the dough into smaller rolls and place in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Spray the tops of the rolls with olive oil spray and sprinkle on parsley to garnish.
- Bake pizza rolls for 10-17 minutes or until rolls are browned and cheese is melted and serve.