In this amazing Mexican Pizza Recipe my Neapolitan pizza dough gets topped with super flavorful chorizo sausage making the best homemade Mexican chorizo pizza you will ever taste! Simple ingredients and great flavor make this a family favorite weeknight meal everyone will love! If you love making homemade pizza then you definitely need to try my Sicilian Pizza, Pizza Rolls Recipe, Meat Lover’s Pizza, and for something a bit out of the ordinary my Philly Cheese Steak Pizza!
This Mexican-style pizza featuring chorizo sausage is dedicated to my husband Fred. He is a very picky eater and really only eats pizza and pasta. Those are his favorite things.
Most nights I appease him by either making homemade pizza with sausage and cheese or spaghetti and meatballs. He inspired me to look for ways to satisfy his preferences but use different flavors to keep mealtime from getting too boring.
Recently, Fred’s been more adventurous and has even started letting me make tacos and fajitas at home too. I thought it would be cool to add a Mexican flair to his favorite meal: pizza. Then, my friend Leslie gave me the idea of adding chorizo. Mexican and Italian cuisine really is a match made in heaven.
Why This Recipe Works
- Making homemade pizza is a great way to get picky eaters to broaden their horizons.
- Simple recipe that goes together quickly.
- Family-friendly recipe to appease everyone.
- Great flavor and is a bit different from your regular pizza.
Ingredients You Need
Mexican pizza requires a handful of simple ingredients to prepare it.
- Pizza dough: I highly recommend making your Mexican-style pizza with this Napoli-inspired pizza dough recipe. It cooks up light and crisp with the perfect amount of char. If you don’t have time to make homemade dough, store-bought options are available but they won’t taste the same.
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite jarred or homemade pizza sauce.
- Taco seasoning: To give the pizza a bit of Mexican flavor.
- Meats: Use ground turkey or beef along with Chorizo sausage to add perfect meatiness to the pizza.
- Cheese: I love using Mexican-blend shredded cheese but you can also use cheddar, Monterey jack, or Colby.
- Veggies: We are using canned black olives, fresh tomatoes, and green onions.
Variations and Additional Toppings
No need to stick with the norm when making this chorizo Mexican pizza! Here are some ideas for changing this up.
- Make it spicy: Add some sliced jalapenos — fresh or pickled to the top of the pizza before cooking.
- Make it vegetarian: Skip the meat and go with just veggies. You can even add some black beans to replace the meat.
- Add more veggies: Diced colored bell peppers, corn, and onions.
- Toppings for serving: Pico de gallo, guacamole, salsa, and some chopped cilantro.
TOP TIP: Don’t go too crazy adding more toppings! You don’t want to weigh down the pizza crust too much. I recommend if you want to add more stuff to the top that you cut back a little on the amount of other toppings to try to keep the same ratio of toppings to crust.
How to Make Mexican Pizza
Here’s an overview of the steps that go into making this Mexican-style pizza. Detailed instructions are in the recipe card.
- Make the Napoli-Inspired pizza dough according to the recipe or prepare the dough you are using to make your Mexican taco pizza. Preheat oven to 450 degrees so it’s plenty hot when you’re ready to cook the pizza.
- Cut the dough in half and roll out two pizza crusts on your work surface. Transfer the dough discs to your pizza pan.
- Brush the pizza sauce over the top of both pizza crusts and sprinkle taco seasoning over the top of the sauce.
- Add the cooked ground meat and browned chorizo to the top of both pizza crusts.
- Sprinkle the top of the meat with Mexican shredded cheese. Then add the black olives and diced fresh tomato over the top of the pizzas.
- Bake the pizzas one at a time for 12-18 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the toppings have all melted together.
TOP TIP: If you want to brown the top even more, turn on the broiler for a few minutes but carefully watch so the pizza does not burn.
- When the pizza is ready, remove them from the oven and sprinkle it with green onions. Slice up your Mexican chorizo pizza and serve.
How to Store
If you’re lucky enough to have pizza left you can save it for another day! Wrap it up and store it in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Reheat it in the oven at 350° F just until heated through. I do find the crust is a bit crisper when reheated.
What to Serve With Pizza
Serve up this easy Mexican-style pizza recipe for parties and gatherings or for meals! It works for so many different occasions.
- For parties, I love to serve salsa verde and guacamole on the side in case guests want to add some to their pizza!
- A quick salad makes a simple, yet tasty addition to dinner.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Use homemade pizza dough, especially my signature homemade pizza dough!
- Make sure your oven is hot before adding the pizza. You want it to start cooking right away as that’s what gives the crust its nice crispy texture.
- Don’t get carried away piling on pizza toppings.
Often it’s made with tortillas as a copycat of the one that’s offered at Taco Bell. This Mexican-style pizza is way better as it’s more of a fusion of the two cuisines. It uses traditional pizza crust and pizza sauce but then uses Mexican cheese, sausage, ground meat, and seasonings to add Mexican flavors.
More Homemade Pizza Recipes
If you like this Mexican Pizza, you’ll definitely love my other pizza recipes.
- Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- Grilled Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
- Homemade Flatbread Pizza Dough
- Meaty Pizza Rolls
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Best Mexican Pizza Recipe
- 1 Napoli Inspired Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 12-14 ounce pizza sauce jar
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ pound ground turkey or beef browned in skillet with 3 tablespoons taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste
- 7 ounces Chorizo sausage, browned in skillet
- 8 ounces Mexican shredded cheese
- 2.25 ounces sliced black olives 1 can
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Make Napoli Inspired pizza dough according to recipe.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut dough in half and roll out two pizza crusts on baking surfaces.
- Next brush pizza sauce over both pizza crusts and sprinkle taco seasoning over the top of the sauce.
- Add taco seasoned and browned ground turkey and browned chorizo on tops of both pizza crusts.
- Sprinkle meat with Mexican shredded cheese then add black olives and diced fresh tomato over pizzas.
- Bake pizzas one at a time for 12-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown and toppings have all melted together. Tip: If you want to brown the top even more, turn on the broiler for a few minutes but carefully watch so the pizza does not burn.
- Remove pizzas, sprinkle with green onions, slice and serve.
This recipe was originally published in April 2014. It has been updated with new content and images.