This Rich and Comforting Homemade Tomato Basil Soup Recipe has the incredible flavors of tomato, sherry, butter and cream which create the perfect soup recipe made insanely quick in an Instant Pot! If you love hearty wholesome and classic soups like Potato Soup, Chicken Chili, or Carrot Ginger Soup or even Beef Stew, you will adore this.
The leaves have fallen, the temperatures have dipped and the oversized warm fleeces have come out of the closet. In fact, it is officially snowing in Chicago. Yep it is just November, Thanksgiving hasn’t arrived it and it is officially snowing. If you’re anything like me, the cold weather brings out my strongest urges for all things comforting. Comfort food is at the top of the list. Gooey, warm mac and cheese, mugs of hot cocoa and most importantly, large bowls of piping hot soup. So I’ve broken out my favorite kitchen product: the instant pot.
There is nothing easier than a one pot soup recipe; every step and all your ingredients made in one pot for the whole family. Done in just about 30 minutes, the instant pot makes everything so much better especially soup recipes. Usually you will have to stir occasionally or even frequently when making a soup but with the instant pot, you can relax a bit.
How to Make Tomato Soup Recipe: Comforting Tomato Basil Soup!
Today, I’m sharing a go-to Homemade Tomato Basil Soup recipe, perfect for chilly fall and winter days spent on the couch. The recipe comes from Ree Drummond so you know it is wonderful.
These are the key ingredients that make a world of difference in this tomato soup recipe:
How to Make Homemade Tomato Basil Soup Taste Delicious!
It starts with simple aromatics: onions and butter. The butter adds subtle richness while the onion offers a bit of acidity to balance out the sweetness of the tomatoes. The bouillon cubes, salt and pepper brighten the flavors in the soup. Note: You can replace the chicken bouillon cubes with vegetable flavored if you would like to go for a full vegetarian soup option.
Each fresh herb, especially the addition of fresh basil, contributes an earthy freshness, making the soup complex and layered with flavor. The Sherry adds warmth, sweetness and a Christmas-y quality that you never knew you needed in a tomato soup.
What Ingredients Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup?
Because this recipe is made in an instant pot, you may be wondering what will help give the soup the smooth creamy texture you may be craving.
Heavy Whipping Cream!
It is a key ingredient in creating that texture and taste. The silkiness of it is necessary. The combination of the butter adds thickness and richness to the soup.
Can Easy Tomato Soup Taste Great?
In the end you’re left with the perfect tomato soup. Each spoonful is sweet, salty, fresh and incredibly comforting. You’ll easily find yourself craving bowl after bowl.
So skip all of the unnecessary steps like using an immersion blender, adding roasted tomatoes, cooking over medium low heat or adding to a dutch oven. Instead bust out the instant pot, make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich and cuddle up under a warm blanket. It’s soup time.
If you love soup, definitely check out these other incredible soup recipes on my website.
- If you love potatoes, this Potato Soup Recipe will light your soul on fire.
- Soup doesn’t get better than my Mexican Chicken Pozole Verde recipe!
- If you love a vegan option, try this Chipotle Black Bean Tortilla Soup recipe!
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (46 ounce) bottle or can tomato juice
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 chicken bouillion cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Parmesan for garnish
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and allow to warm. Add butter to melt. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato juice and stir to combine. Add in sugar, bouillion cubes, salt and pepper, then stir and lock lid in place.
- Set cooker to manual then set timer for 3 minutes. When timer is up set to Naturally vent then add an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in sherry, heavy cream, basil and parsley. Sprinkle on parmesan if desired before serving.