What is Southern Smothered Chicken?
How to Make Smothered Chicken and Rice
- Chicken stock
- Worcestershire Sauce
- SOUTHERN FRIED PORK CHOPS
- FRIED CORN
- BROWN STEW CHICKEN
- RICE AND PEAS
- SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
- REAL DEAL SOUTHERN CARAMEL CAKE
- SOUTHERN SWEET TEA RECIPE
Southern Smothered Chicken
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil separated
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons separated
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Rice for serving
- Garnish: parsley
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge chicken breasts lightly in 1/2 cup of flour then brown in skillet on both sides.
- Once browned, remove chicken from skillet and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Next scrap the bottom of the pan getting up all of the browned bits.
- Add the onion slices to the pan and saute' for about 5 minutes until a bit browned and tender.
- Add minced garlic and saute' for 1 minute.
- Next add 1 additional tablespoon of oil to skillet then sprinkle on remaining flour.
- Allow the flour to brown then pour in chicken stock and water and whisk together.
- Turn heat to high to bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in worcestershire sauce then turn heat down to medium.
- Add back in chicken and put lid on pan. Allow the sauce to thicken until it coats the back of a spoon and chicken is nice and tender.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley if you desire.
And if you want more Southern inspired dishes, follow my Pinterest board below!