Southern Smothered Chicken – Fried chicken breasts smothered in a traditional and delicious brown gravy with onions creates the perfect classic southern smothered chicken dish.
There are many dishes that remind me of my childhood, and this smothered chicken recipe is certainly one of them. As I think about it now, my imagination takes me back to the many times I saw my mother standing in the kitchen over a skillet of freshly fried chicken being added to a homemade gravy she whipped up in a flash.
SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND RICE
The chicken was nice and tender, flavorful and served over rice usually. While I absolutely love to give you twists on the family recipes I grew up loving, sometimes I want to give you the classic because it’s just that good and never goes out of style. This smothered chicken recipe falls in that category.
I have only made a few slight changes over the years but all in all this is pretty much the exact same recipe I had growing up. My mother used to create her gravy with water but I started adding chicken stock along with water to add a bit more flavor. My gravy recipe also calls for a drop of worcestershire sauce, because it really intensifies the dish even more. If you are tired of the same ole chicken dishes, its time to spice things up with this Southern Smothered Chicken. I’m sure you will serve it over and over again for your own family just like my mother did for ours.
If you like this Southern Smothered Chicken recipe, you’ll also like some of my other southern recipes.
- SOUTHERN FRIED PORK CHOPS
- FRIED CORN
- BROWN STEW CHICKEN
- RICE AND PEAS
- SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
- REAL DEAL SOUTHERN CARAMEL CAKE
- SOUTHERN SWEET TEA RECIPE
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!*
Southern Smothered Chicken
Southern Smothered Chicken - Fried chicken breasts smothered in a traditional and delicious brown gravy with onions creates the perfect classic southern smothered chicken dish.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil separated
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons separated
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Rice for serving
- Garnish: parsley
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge chicken breasts lightly in 1/2 cup of flour then brown in skillet on both sides.
- Once browned, remove chicken from skillet and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Next scrap the bottom of the pan getting up all of the browned bits.
- Add the onion slices to the pan and saute' for about 5 minutes until a bit browned and tender.
- Add minced garlic and saute' for 1 minute.
- Next add 1 additional tablespoon of oil to skillet then sprinkle on remaining flour.
- Allow the flour to brown then pour in chicken stock and water and whisk together.
- Turn heat to high to bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in worcestershire sauce then turn heat down to medium.
- Add back in chicken and put lid on pan. Allow the sauce to thicken until it coats the back of a spoon and chicken is nice and tender.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley if you desire.
Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 349mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg
And if you want more Southern inspired dishes, follow my Pinterest board below!