In this BEST Buffalo Wings recipe, crunchy well seasoned chicken wings get fried to golden brown perfection then dipped in a classic spicy buffalo wing sauce taking them to another level! If you love the crunchy and spice of Hooters Wings, then these are for you!! They are the ultimate game day, Super Bowl or party appetizer done right!! If you love wings like these, try these Buffalo Fried Cauliflower, Lemon Pepper Wings, Mango Jerk Wings, Nashville Hot Chicken, Pomegranate Honey Wings as well!
This recipe is all about improving on the classic. These have all of the flavors you adore about traditional buffalo wings but with a wonderful batter that takes them over the top.
Traditional buffalo chicken wings are fried without batter. In these almost Hooters Wings, you get the most incredible crunch and double the flavor.
The first time I had the battered crispy wings was at a Hooters restaurant. Right then, I knew I found a lifelong love. I have ordered just about every crispy buffalo chicken wing in the United States (a tad bit of an exaggeration but you get the point I’m trying to make).
To save money and to cut down a tad bit on the calories, it was definitely time I stopped ordering them and started making them at home.
Buffalo Wings Batter Ingredients
The key to this recipe is fried chicken. Over the years, I’ve fried quite a bit of chicken (like my Big Mama’s Fried Chicken and Sweet Tea Fried Chicken) so you know you are in good hands.
I’ve toned down my usual highly seasoned flour for a milder variety so the buffalo sauce flavor takes the lead. Here’s what you need:
- Chicken wings: Buy disjointed wings all ready to go so they don’t require any cutting or prep.
- Buttermilk: Soaking your party wings (or wingettes) in buttermilk for a while adds additional flavor and makes them ultra juicy.
- All Purpose Flour: Makes the ultra crispy breading that makes these the BEST buffalo chicken wings!
- Seasoned Salt: Gives the breading ample flavor profiles because it is more enhanced than regular salt allowing me to just cut down on other flavors added.
- Paprika: Contributes its wonderfully intense notes to the crispy outside of the wings.
- Black Pepper: A nice counter to the salt.
- Garlic Powder: It always makes everything better!
- Hot wing sauce: I am a huge fan of Frank’s hot wing sauce!
- Butter: Gives the hot wing sauce more richness and creaminess.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wings
What makes Hooters Wings so crunchy is that wonderful breading. Here are the main steps involved so you can make Hooters wings at home.
- Soak the wings in the buttermilk. Buttermilk adds a wonderful tangy flavor to the wings and also helps the breading stick to the wings.
- Combine the flour, seasoned salt, paprika, black pepper, and garlic powder in a paper bag and shake well to mix it all up.
- Bread the wings. Dip each piece of chicken into the seasoned flour thoroughly coating it on all sides.
- Lay the breaded chicken wings on a baking sheet to rest. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the coating to set.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized deep pot or deep fryer and heat over medium-high heat. Also, turn on the oven to 275 degrees.
PRO TIP: Make sure the oil is hot before frying! My test for knowing when the oil is ready is to toss a tiny bit of flour in the oil and if it begins to fry and sizzle, the oil is ready.
- Fry the wings until golden brown and place them on paper towels to drain for only 1 minute per wing before tossing them in the sauce.
How To Make Buffalo Sauce for Wings
The buffalo wing sauce used for these crispy wings is basically the same as the original buffalo wings recipes.
- Whisk together your favorite hot sauce (I like Frank’s) and melted butter. Then warm it up in the microwave.
- Toss the wings in the buffalo sauce. Then hold them in the oven to keep them warm.
I can’t tell you how many times I plan on making this amazing buffalo wings recipe for football games, especially the Super Bowl. But I can tell you that if you decide to make them too, you will be very happy indeed.
What to Serve with Buffalo Wings
You can’t go wrong with the traditional celery and blue cheese dip for wings! Ranch is also a great alternative for anyone who doesn’t like the blue cheese.
For game day, add on other popular favorites like pizza nachos, air fryer mozzarella sticks, and fried pickles!
They also make a fun dinner option too! Serve them up with favorites like fried onion rings, baked beans, or baked potato salad.
If you’re wondering how to cook buffalo wings easily and with excellent results, keep these tips in mind!
- Let your chicken rest after breading it! This is something I do whenever I fry chicken. It helps make sure that it doesn’t fall off in the oil when you are frying. It helps it stick like glue to the chicken.
- Test your oil! This is the secret to crispy buffalo wings! Big Mama always tossed a tiny bit of flour in the oil and if it began to fry and sizzle, the oil was ready.
- Take the time to soak. Give the wings a good two to three hours in the buttermilk.
- Enjoy your buffalo hot wings freshly made. If you do have leftovers store them in the fridge for up to four days and reheat them in the oven.
Yes, most definitely! What I recommend is soaking, breading, and frying all your chicken wings in advance. Hold off on tossing them in the buffalo sauce. This can be done up to 24 hours in advance if necessary. Store them in the fridge. Then lay them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and warm them in a 325 degrees F oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Heat up your buffalo sauce and toss the wings in the sauce when after reheating in the oven.
Of course! If you simply don’t enjoy buffalo sauce or are looking for a less spicy alternative I find that barbecue sauce goes great! You can also leave them naked and serve up different sauces such as buffalo, bbq, and others on the side for your guests to choose their favorite.
Other Game Day Recipes
If you like this crispy buffalo wings recipe, you will definitely love some of my other Super Bowl and tailgating recipes.
- Blacked Shrimp Nachos
- Chorizo Mexican Pizza
- Ultimate Bacon Cheddar Burger
- Homemade Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
- Shrimp Nacho Potato Skins
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
The BEST Buffalo Wings
For The Chicken:
- 1 pound disjointed chicken wings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
For the Sauce:
- ⅔ cup Frank’s hot wing sauce
- ½ cup melted salted butter
For the Chicken:
- Add chicken wings to buttermilk and let marinate for at least 2-3 hours.
- While chicken marinates, add flour, seasoned salt, paprika, black pepper and garlic powder to paper bag and shake well to evenly distribute flavors.
- Dip each piece of chicken into seasoned flour thoroughly coating each piece then add piece to baking sheet to rest.
- Finish coating all chicken and let sit for 10-15 minutes until coating has set.
- While coating sets, add 2 1/2-3 inches of oil to a medium sized deep pot or deep fryer and heat over medium high heat. Also turn on oven to 275 degrees.
- This is my test for knowing when the oil is ready: Big Mama always tossed a tiny bit of flour in the oil and if it began to fry and sizzle, the oil was ready.
- Fry all pieces until golden brown and place on paper towels to drain for only 1 minute per wing before tossing in sauce.
For the Sauce:
- Whisk together hot sauce and melted butter and heat in microwave to make sure it is hot.
- Add half of sauce to another large bowl and carefully toss several wings in sauce until completely covered. Add more sauce if you like them really saucy like me then serve immediately.
- Celery and ranch or blue cheese is a nice complement.
- If not serving immediately, place in the oven to keep warm.
This post was originally published August 2015. It has been updated with new images and content.
interesting step re: soaking them in buttermilk, great to know and thank you for this recipe, love good wings and most restaurant versions are just ok, usually not great, so appreciate this extra step that most probably miss!
Best wings I’ve had in a long time. Thank you for this recipe!
Dina Miller says
So crispy! Loved the sauce!
Crispy fried, easy to make and perfectly sauced, these irresistible chicken wings are calling my name.
Perfectly spicy and juicy. You’re right they are better than hooters
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
Easy and delicious, this one is a keeper. I know I’m going to make it over and over again!
Made these tonight and they were amazing! The coating is more like fried chicken than traditional wings, and it is so so good! I cooked mine for 12 minutes and they were nice and crispy, juicy in the middle.