This is the BEST Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe on the web! So moist and delicious filled with cornmeal, corn kernels, spice, a hint of sweet and so much flavor! It goes perfectly with everything from comforting soups like this Taco Soup, Chicken Pozole , Pinto Beans and Mexican Tortilla Soup to Beef Stew, Mississippi Pot Roast and Spanish Chicken and Rice.
The BEST Mexican Cornbread Recipe online!!! So versatile and delicious!
I love cornbread. I think we get that by now. I believe in having several different cornbread recipes for different occasions too. This Mexican cornbread recipe is my style and perfect for a hot bowl of soup like this pozole or for you to bring to next Mexican Fiesta.
Because I have various cornbread recipes for different occasions, this one has to be super different but the comforting flavor of it is the same. This has a sweetness and also spice kick so it gives the best of both worlds.
What is Mexican Cornbread?
Traditional Mexican cornbread has a mixture of cheese, chiles for spice and actual corn. It adds texture, gooeyness and spice which adds a wealth of flavors galore. You can of course adapt this recipe the way you see fit but I personally love it as is.
What makes this Mexican cornbread recipe so darn special you may ask? Well first of all, it is perfectly moist like all of my cornbread recipes. It melts in your mouth. Who wants hard cornbread that crumbles to dust as soon as you pick it up? Not I that’s for sure.
Mexican Cornbread Ingredients
I like to add an abundance of flavors. These are the most important elements:
- Chile peppers
Scratch cornbread always starts with cornmeal. I like to use a mix of yellow cornmeal and all purpose flour to balance the grit and flavor. For the cheeses, I use two types here: sharp cheddar for that more intense flavor and pepper jack for an additional kick.
Creamed canned corn is perfect or if you want to use some of my mama’s fried corn recipe.
Buttermilk is my major liquid. It adds a wonderful tang but so much moistness to this cornbread. We want to avoid making a dry cornbread recipe.
Finally the chile peppers are what truly makes this Mexican cornbread. If you can’t handle spice, the pepper jack cheese should be enough to give you a tiny kick. If you can do both, add them and it is delicious!
How to Make Mexican Cornbread
You can easily throw all of the ingredients into one bowl to make this recipe. It could not get easier. You don’t need to dirty up a ton of dishes that you will be washing all night. The ease of this recipe is what is so key.
Regarding the cheeses, I think the mix of cheddar AND pepper jack lends a unique blend of goodness. I love both cheeses equally and especially when paired together (try them in your quesadillas!).
The creamed corn really moves this past your wildest dreams. Each bite of this Mexican cornbread gives you a nice creamy bite of corn that really creates this perfect texture. And if you love a little bit more spice, definitely add in the peppers.
My husband can’t take things too spicy so I usually just rely on the pepper jack cheese for a mild kick. But if you are like me and love spicy foods, add the peppers.
So if you are looking for a new bread recipe to try, give this Mexican cornbread recipe a go! You won’t be sorry. If you want some more fun summer corn recipes, also check out this Mexican grilled corn, this Southern fried corn, or this Southern Succotash recipe or serve this with a side of Mexican Rice as well.
Other Cornbread Recipes to Try
If you love this cornbread, definitely try these as well:
- Southern Cornbread
- Hot Water Cornbread
- Fried Cornbread (Hoe Cakes)
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cornbread
- Honey Butter Cornbread
Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe (How to Make Mexican Cornbread)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese plus more to sprinkle on top
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream-style corn 1 can
- 1/2 stick salted butter melted
- 4 ounces diced green chiles 1 can
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar, cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese until well mixed.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, cream-style corn, diced green chiles if using, and melted butter.
- Slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix together until well combined.
- Coat cast iron skillet or baking pan with shortening or spray with non-stick baking spray until fully covered. Add cornbread mixture to skillet. Optional: Sprinkle additional shredded cheeses on top of cornbread batter.
- Place in oven for 23-26 minutes until cornbread is done. Remove from oven and serve.