Delicious bread crumb crusted chicken paired with a classic lemon wine sauce. One of the best breaded chicken and chicken breast recipes on the internet!
My love of chicken and citrus runs deep. I first introduced you to this amazing savory combo with my lemon roast chicken and potatoes recipe, and now I am back at it again with this breaded chicken piccata recipe.
BREADED CHICKEN – MY FAVORITE
This breaded chicken piccata recipe is one of my favorite chicken breast recipes for the following reasons:
1. It’s breaded! I simply can’t resist almost anything dredged in flour and breadcrumbs.
2. It’s drenched in a simple lemon wine sauce. The combination of citrus flavors and chicken can’t be beat!
3. It’s so simple and quick to make.
HOW TO MAKE BREADED CHICKEN
I love my chicken breasts for this breaded chicken piccata recipe to be as thin as possible. You can either find it like this at your grocery store, or you can pound it yourself (with a mallet, rolling pin or any kitchen utensil that can do the job fast and easy) to make it thinner. This helps the chicken cook faster and tenderizes it even more. The breading is created using beaten eggs, flour and bread crumbs (all in separate bowls). Dip your thin chicken breasts in the flour, egg mixture and bread crumbs and repeat at least once. This dredge creates a flavorful impact with a golden brown and crispy outer later alongside a fast lemon butter sauce, which you add to the top of your cooked chicken.
This breaded chicken piccata can be served over a pasta like linguini or over a bed of mashed potatoes, which is my preference along with my easy homemade garlic bread recipe. The softness of the mashed potatoes matched with the crunch of the chicken is so delicious. I do a small happy dance in my chair after each and every bite, just for good measure.
I originally started using the recipe for Ina Garten’s chicken piccata many moons ago but it has gone through quite a few alterations over the years to create my breaded chicken piccata recipe. It was the perfect inspiration for this recipe. As always, thank you Barefoot Contessa!
Find more Fried Chicken recipes HERE
- 6 thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon slices and chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.
- Season thin chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add flour to a separate shallow bowl. In another bowl, add beaten eggs. In a 3rd shallow bowl, whisk together breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Dip seasoned chicken one at a time into flour then eggs then breadcrumbs coating both sides then place on a baking sheet to rest. Repeat with all chicken breasts until complete.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sized saute pan over medium heat.
- Add two chicken breasts at a time to pan and cook on both sides until golden brown. As each piece is finished, place the chicken breast on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the chicken in the oven when it is done and continue the cooking process (starting with adding more olive oil with each cook) until all chicken is cooked and placed in the oven.
- Clean the saute pan and put back over medium high heat. To make the lemon sauce, add white wine and lemon juice to pan and boil until reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper to taste then turn off heat and add butter, swirling in the sauce to completely melt. To serve, ladle sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices and parsley.