Mardi Gras King Cake – Traditional Mardi Gras King Cake gets a fast and easy, yet still
delicious update by using refrigerated cinnamon rolls. It’s one easy king cake recipe!
TRADITIONAL MARDI GRAS KING CAKE
It’s Fat Tuesday y’all! I’m about to share the easiest King Cake recipe ever. For all of you that don’t know, traditional King Cake is the quintessential Mardi Gras cake. It is usually made with doughy bread that is braided with cinnamon tucked inside. After it is baked, it is topped with icing and sprinkled with purple, green and yellow sanding sugar. Festive right?
WHAT IS THE STORY BEHIND KING CAKE?
It is believed that the king cake was brought over to New Orleans from France during the Nineteenth Century. During that time and still today, this cake commemorates the Epiphany when Jesus first showed himself to the world and when the Wise Men visited Him in Bethlehem. Years ago, coins, pecans or peas were hidden in each king cake. Currently, a tiny plastic baby is hidden in the cake batter before baking.
EASY KING CAKE RECIPE
I know that most people are super busy and don’t have the time to dole out a homemade cinnamon french bread concoction on a weekday just for Mardi Gras. That’s why I created this easy Mardi Gras King Cake. For those that claim that my scratch recipes are too intimidating, you will lose your mind at how simple this recipe is.
EASY KING CAKE INGREDIENTS
To emphasize how easy my king cake recipe is, check out the number of ingredients required
to make it below.
- Two Cans of Refrigerated Cinnamon Rolls
- One large egg
- Cream Cheese frosting
- Green, purple and yellow sanding sugar
HOW TO MAKE KING CAKE
This king cake starts with refrigerated cinnamon roll dough. I simply stick the rolls in a greased bundt pan and brush them with Safest Choice eggs (which I lightly whisked) to ensure they stick together. Bake the cinnamon rolls into a cake (add tiny plastic baby if you wish to the cinnamon roll dough) and top it with refrigerated cream cheese icing and sprinkle it with purple, yellow and green sanding sugar. How easy is that!
NEW ORLEANS RECIPES
If you like this Mardi Gras King Cake, you’ll fall in love with some of my other New Orleans
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!*
Mardi Gras King Cake
Mardi Gras King Cake - Traditional Mardi Gras King Cake gets a fast and easy, yet still delicious update by using refrigerated cinnamon rolls. It's one easy king cake recipe!Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 cans refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 can cream cheese frosting
- Green, purple, and yellow sanding sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and liberally spray a 10 inch bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Open the cinnamon roll cans and add a row to the bottom of the pan.
- Lightly brush the row with the beaten eggs then add another row, each time brushing with eggs, until all cinnamon rolls are in the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until solid and no longer jiggling.
- Remove and cool for 5 minutes then turn out on serving plate.
- Allow to cool until slightly warm then spread cream cheese frosting over the top and sprinkle with sanding sugar, alternating all colors.
Add tiny plastic baby if you wish to the cinnamon roll dough before baking.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 18mg | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg