Mango Carrot Cake Swirl Bars – carrot cake in bar form combined with one of my favorite fruits – mango. This is a match made in Easter heaven!
It’s almost Easter, and there is nothing more quintessential to serve for Easter dinner than carrot cake (well lamb is in the running too I suppose) which is why I wanted to spice things up with these mango carrot cake swirl bars.
Carrot cake is a true classic. While I don’t eat it that often, I knew I wanted to attempt some version of it to share with all of you. Something simple that’s packed with unexpected flavor was my motivation when creating this bar recipe.
I decided to mix in Chobani’s mango flavored greek yogurt, which really helped to lighten and liven these bars up. The additional mango flavor is a perfect yet unexpected complement to carrot cake. I love the tiny juicy mango nuggets from the yogurt that surprise your taste buds in each bar.
This bar recipe is also so much fun to make. It would be a fun project to try with the kids for Easter. In fact, I made a quick Vine video showing some of the steps, which you can check out here. I also love how perfect this recipe shows the use of a spring veggie like carrots, also perfect for me to share with Yahoo! Shine’s Supper Club.
Mango Carrot Cake Swirl Bars
- 12 ounces pureed carrots
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup mango Chobani greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces 1/3 fat free cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons mango puree
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the bars, In one large bowl, add pureed carrots, granulated sugar, greek yogurt, oil, beaten eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- For the swirl cream cheese topping, In a medium sized bowl, blend cream cheese and granulated sugar with a hand mixer until nice and smooth.
- Add in one egg, vanilla extract and mango puree and mix until well incorporated.
- To prepare the bars , Pour 3/4 of carrotbatter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Next spread the cream cheese topping on top of the carrot batter until no carrot batter is showing. Spoon remaining carrot batter in random areas over the cream cheese topping.
- Take a butter knife and swirl the top of the batters to create a pretty swirl pattern.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes then serve.