Disclosure: I partnered with the National Mango Board for this Mango Jerk Salmon Burgers recipe post, but all opinions expressed here are my own. I am grateful for authentic partnerships like this.
Mango Jerk Salmon Burgers- Do you know how to cook salmon burgers from scratch? This salmon burger recipe is surprisingly simple to make. These are filled with Jamaican spice and jerk flavor along with the sweetness of fresh mango. So addictive!
I consider my daddy and uncle grill masters. I grew up having their sensational barbecues during the summer. These were the types of barbecues that would make you weak in the knees from the incredible flavors, smoked essence and freshness. Everything from ribs, chicken, fish, kabobs to even fruit for dessert. They nailed it each and every time.
This summer, I vowed we would switch things up a bit and play around with new and unique flavors. Mango is always a mainstay in my summer recipes but never on the grill, and never quite like this. I’ve made salmon before but these Mango Jerk Salmon Burgers are a serious hit in every possible way, and should be added to your barbecue menus pronto.
How to Cook Salmon Burgers
Have you ever made salmon burgers from scratch? They are surprisingly quite simple to make. To begin this salmon burger recipe, I start by grinding fresh salmon fillets in a food processor. I can control everything that goes into my burgers this way, and I can also control the consistency and texture of the patties as well.
The next super important ingredient is the mango. It makes such a difference in these burgers when ripe and perfectly sweet. Remember when you visit your grocery store to feel for the most ripe mangos for this recipe. There will be a slight give when you grab one. This lets you know that it has soft flesh inside. Here I used keitt mangos– you usually find them later in the summer season and you’ll recognize them for their dark to medium green tone and sometimes with a pink blush over a small portion of the mango. Beyond being delicious and sweet, it’s a nutritious superfruit that’s packed with nutrients. I pureed the mango it with lime juice, and even though it is smooth, tiny specs of it get sprinkled through the burgers which adds a little unexpected sweet bite every now and again.
Lastly is the spice, and this gives that jerk flavor we all know and love. Here, I thought creating a jerk seasoning blend would work so well in complementing that fantastic mango flavor (I did the same for my mango jerk chicken wings). It is spicy and sweet just like I love jerk recipes to be. The addition of brown sugar is also a wonderful addition for the mango. Mixing the spice right into the patties gives it that essence throughout every bite.
Salmon Burger Toppings and Sides
For toppings, consider some beautiful micro greens to add a gourmet touch. I also like avocado as well. However you can really add whatever you want! I imagine a mango salsa would also go well with this.
I love these on the grill but you can make these in a skillet or even bake them if you would like. Either way, they are insanely incredible and you must try them asap! Serve them with these sweet potato fries and a cold glass of my mango citrus fruit punch. In fact, why are you still reading this? Get to thy grill pronto!
If you are looking for more amazing mango recipes, check these out:
- Forget classic lemon bars, these Mango Lemon Bars are irresistible!
- And for additional jerk flavor, these Mango Jerk Wings are calling your name!
Mango Jerk Salmon Burgers- Have you ever made salmon burgers from scratch? They are surprisingly simple to make. These are filled with Jamaican spice and jerk flavor along with the sweetness of fresh mango. Addictive! Get these on a grill asap!
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp Jerk seasoning
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb wild caught salmon with skin completely removed
- 1 cup cubed keitt mango (about ½ large mango)
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- oil of choice or non stick cooking spray for grilling
- In a small bowl, add brown sugar, jerk seasoning, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper and stir together until combined. Set aside.
- Add salmon to food processor and grind until it is completely ground with a texture like ground beef or turkey. Remove from food processor and add to a large bowl.
- Completely clean food processor or add to a blender mango and lime juice and puree until smooth.
- To the ground salmon, add a ¼ cup of the pureed mango, all of the breadcrumbs, and 3/4s of the spice mix. With your hands, shape and form burger patties.
- Heat a skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat or spray grill with non-stick spray. Cook patties on each side for 3-5 minutes depending on doneness you prefer.
- Serve on brioche burger buns and top with your favorite desired toppings.